Re: and i thought windows made a mess of files...

On Saturday 12 August 2006 03:19, John Salerno
<johnjsal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in alt.os.linux:

Ok, so far I'm really enjoying Linux (I'm on day 7), but I must admit
I'm very confused about the directory system. Namely, where do
programs

Programs go to the appropriate part of your $PATH depending on what type
of program they are

and files go when they are installed?

"files" in the sense that you apepar to be using it depends on which
type of file

man hier

will give you a fair bit of information.

If you are installing KDE programs, you will find a directory .kde in
your home directory which contains many things including configuration
files and where appropriate history files.

Some other programs put the user-specific configuration files directly
in your home directory as dot files. A simple ls will not show files or
directories whose name begins with a dot - such as .viminfo, but you
can see them with ls -a

Document files in recent distributions of Linux tend to go under the
Documents directory of the given user.

[snip]

In Windows, it actually seems easier. You choose the directory to
install to and that's where you can go to find what you need --
mostly.

I personally don't find it at all easy that when I want to find mp3
files, I have to look under "My Documents" or under "Shared
Documents" - an mp3 is not a document.

I know Windows spreads stuff all over the place (registry,

The most vulnerable single point of failure in the whole Windoze setup
is the so-called registry. I'm glad that Linux does not traditionally
use such a vulnerability although I understand that some desktop
developers are seeking to introduce that risk to Linux.

AppData perhaps), but I was at least able to understand where things
are.

Only because you had been conditioned to expect things there.

Right now, with Ubuntu, I just get the feeling that stuff is all
over my computer and I have no idea where to look for anything (e.g.
my vim files).

Your vim files fall into three categories:

1 The program is probably in /usr/bin/

2 The configuration and history files (.vimrc and .viminfo) are
specific to each user and are therefore in the home directory
of the given user.

3 The files that you edit are wherever they were when you started
to edit them.

So does anyone know of a good website that gets into a little more
detail about how programs are installed, and where things can be found
on the system?

A good place to look for information about how Linux works is
http://www.tldp.org
--
Robert HULL

Archival or publication of this article on any part of thisishull.net
is without consent and is in direct breach of the Data Protection Act

  • Re: Slow browsing with cable modem
    ... Linux box. ... > The routers address is one I haven't seen before. ... browsers are _useless_ for diagnosing network ... configuration problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Multiple subinterfaces per port on a 3745
    ... I am trying to replace a linux router with a cisco 3745 router (IOS ... interface FastEthernet0/1 ... Enter configuration commands, one per line. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Getting the LCD monitor to work on an HP Omnibook 900b with Suse 8.2 Linux
    ... Linux professional 9.0 on a Dell Inspiron 3700 450GT directly from CD ... If I look at the hardware configuration in YaST it has set it up as ... The laptop display shows KDE the ... On their distribution when I look at KDE system control ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: networking
    ... Your DHCP should be empty, ... assuming you entered the linux ... Maybe someone with a MUCH simpler configuration will post their ... Yes a dual boot will allow you to try Internet Connection Sharing via ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Help with kernel configuration to add drivers
    ... surprised to find that the CF card reader is supported in Linux as well. ... kernel sources, etc. ... There will be a section with the labelled `INSTALLING the ... This will remove any configuration files along ...
    (Fedora)