Re: and i thought windows made a mess of files...

John Salerno wrote:
Here's another example: I just installed the vim-doc package (HTML
documation for vim), but now how do I access this? I don't know where it
is or what to type to launch it! The properties in Synaptic list a bunch
of directories, so that's no help. whereis vim-doc didn't help because
that isn't the name of the file apparently. I don't know how to access
it now.

manuals are consulted with the "man" comand

in theis case

$man vim

other examples:

$man mount
$man fstab (no program here, it's a manual for a config file)
$man lilo
$man mencoder

man... there is "man" for allmost every command.

you are in your first days with linux, take it easy... did you learn windows
like you wanna learn linux in a week?
i'm a linux user for 3 years and still learning...

  • Re: OT: my new PC rocks!!
    ... on...only one chapter bothers with the "plug this in here" bits - the ... there's also nothing in the manuals to ... or programming until I was faced with a problem where I knew I could ... can't get the right answer because I really _do_ want to get Linux up ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: writing to a string
    ... Unix and Linux systems come complete with a fairly comprehensive set of ... manuals, supplied on disk. ... I use useful console programs literally dozens of times a day. ... > every platform in existence .? ...
    (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
  • Re: Problem with vi editor
    ... We use vim om Red Hat. ... > I have an C++ application running on my linux machine. ... > application is running and edit it, the application stops logging to the ... > those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: SSP in PL/I or Fortran
    ... > these manuals ... how Linux people have no concern for copyright and violate it with gay ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)
    ... You should also make sure that your Linux kernel clock is set to the ... connection, is usually contained in two or three separate files. ... How To Upgrade/Recompile a Kernel. ... Read the manuals, or a good book on Unix and the manual pages (type ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)