Re: mp3 supports in linux

kanchipasupathy@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
i use suse 10.0 , mp3 songs not playing.
how to play mp3 in linux?

regards

pasupathy

mp3 support is taken out of SUSE for legal reasons. First of all, MP3 is a patented technology. Novell doesn't have the kind of money to pay for an unlimited-user license for it. Do you? I don't think so. That doesn't mean that MP3-playing programs aren't available. XMMS and mpg321 are good programs. Other choices include the proprietary RealPlayer, mplayer, kaboodle, Noatun, RhythmBox, the odd Music Player Daemon (MPD), which has a core program which no user-interface which plays the music, and different programs to control it, Orpheus and Longplayer, but there's probably many others. You can also use Xine and it's front-ends, such as Kaboodle and Xine-UI, but they are more for watching movies, like DVDs, than anything else.

  • [opensuse] just dont get it: is it SOOO difficult to play mp3? (worked an hour on it)
    ... I knew mp3 is not opensource, but SUSE PAIED TO LET USE USE for-fee ... I googled one hour only to find these options to let SuSE play mp3, ... recompile gstreamer which was supporting mp3 but removed mp3 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] just dont get it: is it SOOO difficult to play mp3? (worked an hour on it)
    ... I knew mp3 is not opensource, but SUSE PAIED TO LET USE USE for-fee ... I googled one hour only to find these options to let SuSE play mp3, ... recompile gstreamer which was supporting mp3 but removed mp3 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Why does MS not follow its own rules
    ... WMP 11 will play mp3 just fine. ... I can use the WMP API's to play mp3 in my own app without any problems so it is just WMP that is the problem. ... both file types for mp3 and m3u are checked for it under preferences. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: mp3 supports in linux
    ... how to play mp3 in linux? ... mp3 support is taken out of SUSE for legal reasons. ... That's one of the reasons I refuse to stop using Mandriva no matter how many times I'm told it's not a 'real' linux distro. ...
    (alt.os.linux)