Newbie needs help

Hello,
I've installed a fresh copy of Mandrake 9.0. I cannot get into the GUI.
What is the command line to get to the GUI?

Mandrake was intalled with KDE and GNOME. But after the computer
boots it goes to command line interface... From there I can log in and
put my password in but little more than that...

Obviously I'm a complete noob. I bought the 3 disks back in the day and
as I have dial-up and dont want to spend 2 days getting a newer
version...

Another problem that I have is that I cannot get to the net, so I have
to reboot to win to get to the net. The two OSs are on completely
different HDDs. I have a dialup, using a winmodem. I have gotten to the
point where I know there is a Linux version to the driver but they were
pulled of the net for some reason...

FCC ID GX5USA-27261-PT-E
ModemBlaster: DI3635-1/5655

I also have another modem, it is slower, but I can try it out just so I
could get Linux to get on the net... This is a full hardware modem I
believe...

FCC ID FQU-336-04040

I know... I sould get a newer version, I should get cable or DSL, or I
should get xxx. Lets not go there. I'm not doing well, so I cannot spend
money on anything... Even to get a newer version of the OS in a
different flavor.

What I would like is for someone to help me with what I got. Or maybe
send me a newer version of the OS, by mail please. As over the net is
not an option.

Thnaks in advance

  • Re: Newbie needs help
    ... I've installed a fresh copy of Mandrake 9.0. ... What is the command line to get to the GUI? ... this requires of course that you have have installed X during the installation of Mandrake and it's been correctly configured by the installer. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Newbie needs help
    ... I've installed a fresh copy of Mandrake 9.0. ... What is the command line to get to the GUI? ... The guys at Dayton LUG will fix things for him and use their CDs to install the latest version of Mandrivia. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Win98 -- all kidding aside
    ... available to me through the GUI, ... the command line will always ... give the greater power and flexibility for certain tasks. ... things than Windows. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: For The Newbies
    ... make such wild accusations about people that don't agree with your ... I SAID I was using KDE and KNode. ... uses Linux should _only_ ever use the command line and never a GUI. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Tips for installing windows and freeBSD both.. anyone??
    ... How is this different from the command line? ... I'm just as dead in the water as with the GUI. ... but since it is internal to the app, and *not* part of the GUI, it doesn't ... the spreadsheet  specified the spreadsheet file to use, ...
    (freebsd-questions)