Re: Best Distros for supporting Wireless Ethernet Cards?

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:07:36 -0500, Dan C wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:24:58 +0200, Michael Heiming wrote:

The trick is to get some nic that is supported. Don't waste your
time with ndiswrapper and alike stuff.

I recall using ndiswrapper once. The next day i went out and bought a
fistful of Cardbus cards....

Exactly. To the OP, get something with the Atheros chipset.

Which means that Ubuntu would recognise it, since 6.06 includes the ath
driver.

It occurs to me that people are reinstalling one distro after another
to get their stuff working.

Amazing, isn't it? Somehow that's preferable to researching a little on
the card before buying...

You underestimate how hard it can be. The stuff currently in the shops is
normally not listed in the compatibility lists, which are lists of what
was bought a year ago. The manufacturers often do not print on the box
what revision their card is (D-Link is the exception here) and sometimes
do not even know what chips are in their cards! Example of the latter:
The FSF listed Ralink 2500 chipsets as having a free driver, and mentioned
the Surecom ep9428g as being an exemplar. These were on sale at my local
hardware emporium, so I bought one. Was not a Ralink chip. Checked the
Surecom forum, they said 2 revisions of that card were Ralink, one was
Texas, which had no Linux driver. Guess which version my card was? And
then I checked with lspci and discovered it ACTUALLY was an RTL8185.
Works perfectly under Ubuntu 6.06.

  • Re: 11g wireless card does not word in Linu
    ... > You might give Ndiswrapper a try with the card's XP driver. ... My old laptop had a Prism based 802.11b card and the Prism driver ... I just bought a belkin wireless card expecting for it to ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • config usb wireless as access point?
    ... I bought an usb wireless card (ralink 2800), in fact this card can be used ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Wireless setup: D-Link DWL-G650+ on 9.1 Pro
    ... ethernet card for it, Suse recognised this out of the box - happy days. ... -Uninstalled the SuSE ndiswrapper and built version 1.2 from source. ... -Uninstalled Suse wireless-tools and built & installed version 27. ... Reading up first about WLAN security issues in general (never used ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: New Computer - Advice Needed
    ... bought my last computer - a Dell Optiplex 330 Minitower with WinXP ... Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics - I ... prefer a graphics card with its own memory, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)