Re: Why I now hate MS-Windows, and ATM machines

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:24:24 -0600, Beowulf wrote:

My understanding is that many ATM machines run a version of MS-Windows.

The one and only time I saw an ATM booting, it was OS/2. OS/2 was a
popular choice for ATMs until IBM stopped shipping it in December 2005 and
support will end next month.

"The era of OS/2 ATMs is ending, and as the Windows ATM era begins"
http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article.php?id=7918&prc=6&page=36

  • Re: Apple/Macs for the Army
    ... windoze systems are wide open to attack. ... it's just nonsense if you're saying about Windows. ... There are OS/2 viruses. ... Diebold and othe ATM makers began ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Apple/Macs for the Army
    ... windoze systems are wide open to attack. ... There are OS/2 viruses. ... Diebold and othe ATM makers began ... switching to Windows NT after IBM announced the end of OS/2. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Apple/Macs for the Army
    ... windoze the machines were almost immediately attacked successfully. ... They now have to put a Linux firewall in every ATM to prevent it from ... private connections to the bank, and ran simple software that just did ... than multimedia monstrosities...), I sure wouldn't pick OS/2, because if ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Apple/Macs for the Army
    ... ->>it's just nonsense if you're saying about Windows. ... Diebold and othe ATM makers began ... Almost none still use OS/2 ... have not come close to replacing all existing machines yet. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)