Re: Linux marketing / ads -- why not a centralized organization?

ac wrote:
Beowulf wrote:
It strikes me as odd that there is no centralized organization for doing
some marketing of linux-- billboards, newspaper full page ad now and then,
cheap short radio spot ads (anything to lessen the radio time occupied by
annoying car sales ads!). Why not a non-profit promotinglinux.org or
whatever, take donations from linux users and do some marketing? Though
linux is free, promoting linux and getting a larger user base will benefit
all, increasing vendor driver support, etc.

I think you make an excellent point.

As it happens, I think the convergence of much energy and focus is happening around the Ubuntu family of distros. The volunteer structures are inclusive, and well organised. They include a marketing mailing list, and local teams, for example the UK Team - which ran a booth at UK LinuxWorld in London recently.

In UK there is an Infopoint project, with the aim of offering information about open source and linux.

I really liked the Firefox advert in the *full page* of New York Times a year or so back.
If this ever goes anywhere I will do what I can to help it. I think it is a good idea to create a central site that will collect donations and compose and buy ads to help promote open source

--
Leo in Canada:
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  • Re: Linux marketing / ads -- why not a centralized organization?
    ... some marketing of linux-- billboards, newspaper full page ad now and then, ... cheap short radio spot ads (anything to lessen the radio time occupied by ... take donations from linux users and do some marketing? ... linux is free, promoting linux and getting a larger user base will benefit ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Linux marketing / ads -- why not a centralized organization?
    ... some marketing of linux-- billboards, newspaper full page ad now and then, ... cheap short radio spot ads (anything to lessen the radio time occupied by ... linux is free, promoting linux and getting a larger user base will benefit ... They include a marketing mailing list, and local teams, for example the UK Team - which ran a booth at UK LinuxWorld in London recently. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Linux marketing / ads -- why not a centralized organization?
    ... some marketing of linux-- billboards, newspaper full page ad now and then, ... cheap short radio spot ads (anything to lessen the radio time occupied by ... take donations from linux users and do some marketing? ... linux is free, promoting linux and getting a larger user base will benefit ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Story Time
    ... The only thing Linux has that BSD ... The GPL attracted a lot of people to the Linux platform. ... And the answer is, marketing. ... As developers become interested in the platform, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Is Linux Unix?
    ... "just typed make" plus "Linux" ... support, or never had it in the first place, were caught flat footed. ... That's partitioned into Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, and pretty much ... - Target sales and marketing to some subset of the 30% Linux share. ...
    (Debian-User)