Microsoft to sue open source / linux?

Apparently Microsoft intends to put the thumb screws to open source /
linux. Thoughts? Could MS really stop open source? It seems to me it
might (1)ironically bite them in the ass by bringing awareness of
linux to the spotlight and (2)be like chopping the hair off a hydra,
more will simply spring up (i.e. if MS attacks a big distro for $$$,
other distros will simply surge ahead).

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/

http://news.com.com/Report+Microsoft+says+open+source+violates+235+patents/2100-1014_3-6183437.html

  • Re: The future of Linux
    ... The main source of Linux is *"Open Source*, ... Windows will NEVER meet the requirements that Linux has, ... beta2 my very first distro. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: pay for linux conexant modem drivers???
    ... You pay for 3rd party software when you buy a distro. ... The Linux ... community would both praise the day and benefit if someone like Adobe ... products that simply won't be challenged by open source for quite sometime ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Query to the Linux community....
    ... It's the same as when people speak of Linux being a "free" OS. ... teach the people about their vehicles through commercials to ensure that the ... Tools for one distro can be used on another. ... nor will it develop any open source software. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Linux? Youre kidding right????????
    ... Linux was still in its infancy. ... >> gotten curious enough to try another distro. ... Children, really, giggling about Windows users. ... See my June 6 post titled "Open source code ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Newbie to linux question
    ... I am moved about open source, ... What is the best version of linux? ... > using it for school, so I plan to download openoffice.org, and I will ... If you really just wanted to know best distro, there aren't a such as it's ...
    (alt.linux)