Re: Which distribution etc

Horton heard a Who named brennfalcon saying:
Hi,
I'm keen to give Linux a try but would be grateful for some advice on
distribution etc.

I prefer Debian. Others have answered this with a good source , so ...

<snip>
I'm also interested in using the linux bit of my system for some web
design - good idea/bad idea? And if so can anyone recommend a good
package?

Using Linux to code web pages is an excellent idea. Any text editor will do if
you know the code. Here's a great web site for coding information and examples:
http://www.w3schools.com/

Check you code here: http://validator.w3.org/

Sorry if any/all of these are stupid questions!

Nope; thanks for stopping by!

--
sk8r-365
The only way to make Windows "secure":

  • Re: Question about Viruses on parallels using Windows XP
    ... Everything you will need for your flavor of Linux will come from either the particular Linux OS web server or will be a trusted third party site, like Firefox, etc. ... Debian installs with less intital programs and leaves program choices up to you. ... Debian also installs what it considers a minimal install, so you do not have a lot of programs on your system you do not care for and you can customise Debian to be exactly what you want it to be. ... If you have been reading about Linux distribution you will read a lot about the install... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Outsiders observation upon the pros and cons of Debian
    ... I have an observation to make concerning the Debian ... distribution, and considerations which might motivate people whether ... Several years ago, we both tried Linux ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: which debian i should install?
    ... able to decide which debian? ... cannot install it via internet or through any network. ... It sounds as though you are completely new to Linux. ... best distribution for you to start with. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: why debian
    ... I don't like Debian very much:). ... and I still daydream of installing it back ... Linux distributions are almost the same thing. ... I guess I won't switch to other distribution any time soon ... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Which Linux Distubtion do you use..
    ... Which Linux Distribution do you use and why do you like it. ... Debian is plenty fast and is almost 0 maintenance when it ... no matter what ACPI drivers I install, ...
    (alt.os.linux)