Re: yet another reason not to buy vista...

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:55:23 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

In message <fcu5bm$rek$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ERACC wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:52:00 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

In message <fcp6pl$kj4$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ERACC wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:28:59 -0600, §ñühw¤£f
wrote:

I told him I could wipe it and install linux but he was into
playing Doom on it.

One can play Doom under Linux ...

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=Linux+Doom

It looks like its the shareware version.

I can play doom on my BeBox too but its also the shareware version

No, you *BUY* a licensed copy of the 'doze version and use the
instructions on this page to get a fully functional Doom III on Linux:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4fcr2

Specifically see ...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2tcn7l

So you install the demo and then the "patch" which is a hack to run a
full version under linux.

Basically, yes.

.... for the instructions. (URLs are for zerowing.idsoftware.com)

I merely point this out to say it can be done.

I dont have the skills to do that and my friends buddy *definitely*
dosnt have those skills. He was asking me to fix his winbox afterall...

The instructions on that site are pretty much a step-by-step recipe of
what to do to get a working Doom III retail on Linux. Anyone that can
read and follow directions can do it. Just now I asked my 17 y/o daughter
(she's *not* a techie geek by any stretch of the imagination, just a
Linux user) to look at it and tell me if she thought she could do that.
She said she thinks it would be easy once I told her how to install the
demo from the *.run file:

As root:
su -c 'sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run'
-or-
sudo sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run
-or-
su
(supply root password)
sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run
exit

Or as user:
sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run

The root install is for a system-wide install. The user install is for an
alternate install into the user's $HOME tree.

Learning how to install a .run file is the only thing not covered on that
page. A SotFW finds that: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3425xj

HTH,
Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-2546588-42121?isbn=0130333514
ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare
.