Re: yet another reason not to buy vista...

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:55:23 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

In message <fcu5bm$rek$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ERACC wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:52:00 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

In message <fcp6pl$kj4$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ERACC wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:28:59 -0600, §ñühw¤£f
wrote:

I told him I could wipe it and install linux but he was into
playing Doom on it.

One can play Doom under Linux ...

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=Linux+Doom

It looks like its the shareware version.

I can play doom on my BeBox too but its also the shareware version

No, you *BUY* a licensed copy of the 'doze version and use the
instructions on this page to get a fully functional Doom III on Linux:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4fcr2

Specifically see ...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2tcn7l

So you install the demo and then the "patch" which is a hack to run a
full version under linux.

Basically, yes.

.... for the instructions. (URLs are for zerowing.idsoftware.com)

I merely point this out to say it can be done.

I dont have the skills to do that and my friends buddy *definitely*
dosnt have those skills. He was asking me to fix his winbox afterall...

The instructions on that site are pretty much a step-by-step recipe of
what to do to get a working Doom III retail on Linux. Anyone that can
read and follow directions can do it. Just now I asked my 17 y/o daughter
(she's *not* a techie geek by any stretch of the imagination, just a
Linux user) to look at it and tell me if she thought she could do that.
She said she thinks it would be easy once I told her how to install the
demo from the *.run file:

As root:
su -c 'sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run'
-or-
sudo sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run
-or-
su
(supply root password)
sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run
exit

Or as user:
sh ./doom3-linux-1.1.1286-demo.x86.run

The root install is for a system-wide install. The user install is for an
alternate install into the user's $HOME tree.

Learning how to install a .run file is the only thing not covered on that
page. A SotFW finds that: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3425xj

HTH,
Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-2546588-42121?isbn=0130333514
ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  • Re: [OT?] Question about Linux AtariSIO
    ... > I had all but given up on ever using my Linux server to host files for my ... > it not for Doom 3. ... > download the driver installer and it said there wasn't a precompiled driver ...
    (comp.sys.atari.8bit)
  • Polling loop good here???
    ... I've discovered that simutaneously changing the screen data and the color palette without synchronization creates a flicker of a mess on the screen, and DOOM doesn't do that in Linux, so I guess it must be synchronizing somehow. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: [opensuse] Noob 3d Desktop
    ... Well let's give the GLXGears a try and then see if I can get Doom ... Doom3 is easy to get working. ... You install the Linux engine, ... copy over the wad files from your Doom3 install disks. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] FYI: Games for Linux
    ... Doom with attractive OpenGL graphics under linux? ... Download and install Jaakko Keranen's "doomsday". ... All sounds and musics play well. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] FYI: Games for Linux
    ... I can never get Doom or UT to work on Linux. ... the screen that spashes for the game. ... Someone should do a CD with Quake, Doom and the DOS version of Wolfenstein ...
    (SuSE)