RAID 0 partition recovery

All,

I am moving a system from one motherboard and set of disks to another.
Unfortunately, during the move, the partitions on the original disks
got wiped out. They were, if I recall correctly, set up as RAID 0 with
LVM. I don't believe any of the actual data is gone, just partition
info and pointers. After doing one round of undeleting partitions with
TestDisk, I'm closer, but still so far away from retrieving the data.
I now have the /boot partition on disk 1 as well as the extended
partition and what looks to be the RAID0 superblock(?). I also have a
partition on disk 2 that's irrelevant (copy of boot partition). I just
recently noticed that the TestDisk tool doesn't work with RAID 0, so
that might explain my lack of success so far. However, I've also tried
other partition recovery tools with the same level of success.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover the partitions
(without sending it to a data recovery service)? I suspect that once I
have the partitions back, I should be able to recreate the RAID0
container and then the LVM partitions.

Thanks.

  • Re: bugged sysinstall, bsdlabel, zfs, gmirror - recept for disaster :)
    ... So after a thirty minutes I had a plan, and my server had 4 disks ... gmirror - raidz environment. ... mount point for every partition in slice. ... offset to use (the end of the previous partition plus one, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: mysteries with latest update
    ... Because of the changes to Advanced Format and other partition tables ... I ran into a very similar problem with a CentOS system some time ago. ... root file system some of the space came from the recently added PV. ... the latter since I am not booting it with additional disks on it. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • bugged sysinstall, bsdlabel, zfs, gmirror - recept for disaster :)
    ... Yesterday I've decided that's about time to test zfs functionality on my home server PC. ... A couple of weeks ago I bought new desktop PC, so I had a bunch of PATA disks from old one ... Problem with labels created with sysinstal, is that it aks for a mount point for every partition in slice. ... So I've added gmirror to loader.conf ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Hewlett Packard XP Recovery Disks Question
    ... A new HP I worked on 5 weeks ago just had a recovery CD. ... I then used Partition Magic to shrink the C ... > The HPs that I am familiar with, have the restore on a partition on the ... >> In my experience HP recovery disks will wipe out ALL ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RAID & /boot
    ... First, although GRUB can't boot from a RAID partition, LILO can. ... Second, Linux does RAID on partitions, not whole disks. ... so you should probably plan to plug in an extra IDE controller card. ... Sometimes Linux tries to shuffle the /dev names for the drives when ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)