Four user Linux. A proposal

Four user Linux

Before you say it already does that and dismiss what I have to say out
of hand please hear me out. What I am proposing is just a little
different. Basically I am saying that I think its possible to hook up 4
video displays, 4 keyboards and 4 mice and have 4 instances of x-windows
running at the same time. Now before you scoff at me and say I'm an
idiot please keep an open mind. Lets talk a bit about how we might
accomplish such a feat.

Processor and memory- Actually Linux does this already. It is a multi-
user multi-tasking OS. Now if we take it a step further and run it on a
quad core processor with 4 gig of ram we have in my humble opinion
enough resources to do meaningful work. Add the ability to dynamically
switch processor cores to help with processor intensive tasks and we
have the beginning of a working system. I suspect that running 4 virtual
machines one for each instance of x-windows might do the trick.

Video ? This part of the system will take some work. We already know
that its possible to install 2 Nvidea cards in a system and have 4 video
ports. I suspect with a special driver you could write to each screen
individually. Granted this won't be an easy task, but I think it is
doable. I would imagine that Nvidea would be happy to make more sales
sell some of their older chip-sets that might support this feature.

Keyboards ? Some form of embedded number, maybe a rotary switch inside
the keyboard so the OS can keep track of which keyboard is which. I'm
sure an engineer can think up a fairly easy way of making this work.

Mice ? Basically the same problem as the keyboard. Some way of
distinguishing between mice.

Now I'm sure you are asking yourself why bother. I can see several ways
this would be useful.

1. How many time have you watched your kids fight over who gets to use
the computer. It would be nice if up to four of them could use it at the
same time.

2. Schools could save a lot of money if they only had to buy 1 box for 4
kids.

3. Businesses could benefit from this technology for employees who only
use Pc's for keypunching data, or other light duty uses.

4. It would help give Linux more exposure to the general public.

I am freely giving this idea out with no claims on it. Anyone may take
the idea and run with it. You won't owe me a dime.

  • Re: Linux/X-Windows unable to set focus on a modal form (Consulting $ anyone)
    ... focus is stolen from the window and you CANNOT use the keyboard or any ... for Linux good for Microsoft I guess. ... Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access- Hide quoted text - ... I wouldn't have answered you or tried to duplicate your problem on my Linux and Windows machines if I had known that you were using some sort of remote access software that I don't own. ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)
  • Re: HD Problem:
    ... A dedicated application on the CD, and running under Linux, can ... when you've accepted the EULA. ... If keyboard was USB, try a PS/2 keyboard. ... A working console command window appeared on my computer, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to kill X?
    ... > It seems to me that, since X is running on top of Linux, keyboard input must ... Or you can build a kernel with CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ ... Keyboard input goes right to the process that's reading it, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Intel/Windows equivalent of 17" powerbook
    ... The keyboard is a joy to use compared with some laptops. ... > hot under sustained load to need extra fans. ... HP do seem to offer some support for Linux, ... The WiFi doesn't work with the SMP Linux kernels, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: OT: Ping eeePC owners
    ... 'Use Linux' section? ... the details state "To use your 3 USB modem you?ll need a few ... space, 1 free USB port, a Windows 2000, XP, Vista or and Mac OSX ... there were times a keyboard would have been an advantage. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)