Re: Dual Boot Windows XP and Fedora Core 8

patingsadagat wrote:
Then, I opted to install
GRUB boot loader and proceeded to advanced configurations and choose
the option to install the boot loader in the first partition (sda2) ,

To run GRUB requires you have another boot loader that has an option to load
the GRUB from sda2, so until you fixed this, you won't be able to boot into Linux.

instead of the default which is to install in the MBR. However, upon
reboot, the system goes directly to the Windows XP platform. It does
not even load/show an interface where I imagine, I can select which OS
to run. Any suggestions/comments/tips on my predicament are highly
appreciated.

I suggest you install GRUB to MBR instead, this way GRUB will be loaded at the
start of the computer and from there you will be able to boot Fedora or microsoft.

One way to do this is to boot the install CD/DVD in rescue mode and mount your
Linux installation on your hard drive, where after you chroot to the directory
with your mounts, edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf and set boot=/dev/sda
Now run grub-install
exit the chroot and tell the machine to shut down. Next time you start your
machine, you will have GRUB where it should be.

--

//Aho

  • Re: [SLE] Booting problem
    ... grub will not completly load, It shows Grub on the screen and then Grub ... install dvd,click install,click other,click boot to installed system. ... Loader and make sure you install the boot loader in the Master Boot Record. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Grub Error 21
    ... you installed your boot loader. ... I'm not exactly sure how GRUB works but Dave's /etc/grub.conf reads: ... Started a totally clean 10.3 install and accepted the default options offered. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: grub segmentation fault when trying to do setup.
    ... >The root file-system is in the lvm partition. ... the above results in a crash of grub when trying to install the ... >boot loader during the install and when using the Fedora rescue mode. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: GRUB 9.1 NO MENU!! Help!
    ... > grub is very forgiving ... ... >> But I am having to boot off the SuSE install disks since there is NO grub ... bootloader wasn't written correctly try opening YaST> Boot loader ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Vista SP2 Install Problems (Extended)
    ... I have a setup similar to a number of threads I've read here: ... Realizing, finally, the lack of Vista's boot loader being present is ... When I load the Vista Disc ... Once you install grub, BCD is dead and you cannot get it back even using the Vista DVD repair...won't happen, as you've noticed. ...