Re: Old laptop HD to pick up with usb adaptor

On 2008-02-07, Mark South <mark.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I had one box that required the drive to be set to "single", a
jumper setting that wasn't shown on the drive itself, and required a
wee bit of goggleration.

That setting is also called 'Master' on a lot of drives. In which case
there's usually another one called 'Master with slave present'.

On a WD drive of this vintage, Master, Slave, and CS were all shown on
the drive. Single was a separate, different setting. Busted my brain
for an hour or so :-)

Had one of those, longe time ago.
Yep, in that case 'single' means 'Master w/o slave'.

You'd think they would agree on a simple, uniform notation...

Douglas Adams

  • Re: Upper Lower Filters in XP Registry
    ... I'd just switch the middle and end connectors (moving the drives ... currently have jumpered as Slave should be that way - some drives cannot ... support being a master. ... > the drive to the slave CD and the top connector to the master DVD. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)
  • Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)
    ... can't seem to keep master and slave out of each other's hair. ... You could plug something like "master slave ata corruption" in a search at Google and get some interesting reading, ... In the MSWindows universe they were familiar with, there were enough reports of silent corruption they figured it was best to stay with one channel, one drive, particularly when building RAID on ATA controllers. ... I have seen drives fail much earlier than was reasonable, but the failure patterns seemed to be more related to the issue of ATA drives failing to sync the cache to the disk when told to, or maybe even just cheap recording surfaces. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Device Manager Issue
    ... Changing the jumper to Master only made the primary slave invisible in BIOS ... What does the BIOS read the drives as? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)
    ... warned me against trying to use both master and slave at the same time, ... There *used* to be problems with some controllers, ... corrupting both drives at the drop of a very small hat. ... 8a [Master SecP PriP]) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Help installing Fedora
    ... Each IDE/ATA channel can support either one or two devices. ... giving each device a designation as either master or slave, ... the reasons why drives don't always "play nicely together" has to do ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)