Re: fstab and ntfs-3g

§ Mark § wrote:

While hanging out in alt.os.linux, I heard heavytull say:

I would like to know whether one can set fstab so as a partition is
mounted as user 'xxx'?

any mount line that is defined in /stc/fstab, makes the partition being
mouted as user:group 'root:root'

but i would like 'xxx':users

This works for me, it is one line, it wrapped in my newsreader.

/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g
defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

I don't think that is quite what was wanted: that *allows* users to mount the partition, and then allows them, or any other user, to umount it (the 'users' option); I think he wants it so that it is automagically mounted as a specific user?

Tho' I do notice that as he says he wants a partition ``mounted as user 'xxx''' I suspect we're probably talking about a windows/dos partition (ie fs=vfat, ntfs, etc), in which case using a combination of the mount options 'uid=nnn' & 'gid=mmm' should do the trick (along with the 'umask=ppp' option to set permissions as required). See:

$ man 8 mount

for more details.

  • Re: [opensuse] Hal & Policy Kit?
    ... I am unable to mount them in 11.2 getting the message "Hal Device Volume ... I'm confused, when you boot 11.2, or any of the other OS's, I ... the drive where the partition should have been mounted, ... cat /proc/partitions ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence
    ... I'll get random mount sequences. ... At the beginning the USB ... nautilus remember that 'storage3' was 1st partition, ... SCSI drives are listed by order of discovery. ...
    (Fedora)
  • 2.6.32-rc6 - 2.6.32-rc6-git3 misinterpreting fstype on boot
    ... strangeness - misinterpreting the xfs partition as reiserfs. ... proc on /proc type proc ... is a reiserfs partition it needs to mount as "/root"????. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.32-rc6 - 2.6.32-rc6-git3 misinterpreting fstype on boot
    ... strangeness - misinterpreting the xfs partition as reiserfs. ... system.board.vendor = 'ASUSTeK Computer INC.' ... is a reiserfs partition it needs to mount as "/root"????. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Ubuntu second hard drive was Windows partition
    ... Ubuntu second hard drive was Windows partition ... If ntfs-3g does come default in ubuntu, you can probably mount the ... on these lists for a couple of years now and should know what to say and ...
    (Ubuntu)