Re: Upgrading to Slack 12.1

"Osiro" <vinicius.osiro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2dd571d3-8c9e-4c98-8a32-38db300161a8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was upgrading my slack 12 to 12.1 ( using this script
ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/UPGRADE.TXT ), and
when I boot my computer I received the following error:
VFS: Cannot open root device "806"or unknown-block(8,6)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the
available partitions:
0300 312571224 hda driver: ide-scsi
0301 20482843 hda1
0302 1 hda2
0305 20482843 hda5
0306 4996183 hda6
0307 4000153 hda7
0308 2000061 hda8
0309 2000061 hda9
030a 128905528 hda10
030b 129700746 hda11
1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(8,6)

In fact I understood the problem, I need to append a correct root, but
I did this change on lilo.conf and the problem persists.

And I realized something strange, I don`t have a IDE Hard Disk, is a
SATA.
So, why the available partitions are hda instead of sda? Do I need to
change some kernel configuration? How can I do it?

Thanks.

SATA uses IDE modes or specifications. The sda is displayed ONLY for SCSI
disks. So nothing wrong with the kernel as far as the hda part is concerned.

  • Upgrading to Slack 12.1
    ... 0300 312571224 hda driver: ide-scsi ... I did this change on lilo.conf and the problem persists. ... why the available partitions are hda instead of sda? ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Upgrading to Slack 12.1
    ... 0300 312571224 hda driver: ide-scsi ... I did this change on lilo.conf and the problem persists. ... why the available partitions are hda instead of sda? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: more problems migrating to RAID1
    ... of the first (hda) drive. ... However I am having problems booting off the md partitions using the grub ... which is the new root partition on hde. ... drives md partitions, ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: will hde be hd1 in grub.conf?
    ... booted off of the normal partitions on hda using the command... ... root ... where hde contains the md partitions. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: more problems migrating to RAID1
    ... Kernel panic - not syncing: ... fancy when grub is setup on hda. ... Make sure third boot selector option still boots partitions on hda ...
    (Fedora)