Re: How to add another distro?

sk8r-365 wrote:

118GB is plenty for a standard install! Even half is.

Linux Minimum System Requirements

* Personal computer with an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz or higher
processor
* 256 MB physical RAM
* 800 MB available disk space
* 800x600 display resolution

Linux Recommended System Requirements

* 512 MB physical RAM
* 2.5 GB available disk space
* 1024x768 display resolution

Recommended Processors

* x86
* Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or higher
* AMD64
* Intel 64

That eliminates one concern, at least. I made that inquiry because
during my very early trials with Linux, RH5, I failed to provide enough
space for /. The install failed until I pulled my head from my
posterior :0

Yeah, it's plenty. When I get to the expert partitioner page and unmark sda3 to be formatted, I see no way to tell it to install on sda1 and leave sda3 alone. Clicking the 'next' button gives a message about installing on an unformatted partition. I haven't been able to install yet, since I don't want to take the chance of wiping out Ubuntu. Since I just want to play with some other distros and see how they work.

Al

  • Dual boot IBM ThinkPad T40 with new Windows 2000 install
    ... I've got SuSE 9 installed on IBM Thinkpad T40 laptop and all disk space ... is allocated for Linux file system. ... Now I plan to make it a dual-boot laptop with new Windows 2000 Pro install ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Newbie question - partition
    ... > Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer? ... Use a Windows partitioning tool and free some disk space for ... Don't format the disk space as you will ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Newbie question - partition
    ... >> Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer? ... Don't format the disk space as you will ... scattered all over the disk before you run the partitioning tool. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Recommend a very light Linux distribution for very old computer
    ... to install a very light version of linux. ... Which distribution of Linux, ... ....And at the cost of security updates. ... disk space. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Cannot Start xserver
    ... On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Kalyan Sundar wrote: ... Please advice to resolve such behavior of Linux. ... Linux does strange things when you run out of disk space on your /, ...
    (RedHat)