Re: LiveCD boot problem

On 2008-06-29, Needs Help <purpledrank69@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am coming to you guys in an act of desperation. I haven't used my
computer for a while but it has some important work files on it that I
need badly. So I heard about this "ophcrack" password crack and tried
it out. The problem is when I put it into the disk tray and restart my
computer, it won't boot up. I've tried changing the boot order, but
it'll detect the CD's operating system, and ends up failing to boot it
up, and will endlessly restart my computer until I change back the boot
order.

I realize this isn't much of a descriptive problem, but I'm not all
that good with computers, and ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Which boot loader are you using? Lilo or Grub?

Try to append "init=/bin/sh" option to kernel before booting. That will
drop you into shell. Then type this:

mount -o remount,rw /
mount -a
passwd
sync
mount -o remount,ro /
reboot

The passwd will prompt you for new root password twice (checks for
mistyped password). While you're at it, you can change your users'
password (if you have also forgotten your username just do "ls /home"
to see which usernames are present; this lists the users' home
directories) by typing "passwd your_username".

The only tricky thing for first timer is figuring where to add the
init=/bin/sh option :)

--
Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of great leaders
has been discontinued.

  • Problems booting after new motherboard - label /1 not found
    ... I have been using FC4 as a MythTV box for 18 months or so now and all has been well. ... Booting the kernel. ... mount: error 2 mounting ext3 ... The other volume I have is the data volume and is JFS on LVM, this I guess is where the error occurred during mount so is probably not really an issue at the moment, as the boot and root partitions are fine. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: password recovery in RAID1
    ... boot cdrom -s ... mount my secondary device /a ... (add a password to root) ... mirror, however other mirror shall be intact. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • More RAID-1 problems
    ... Mounting root filesystem. ... setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory ... Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux: ... I am still unable to get the system to boot. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Encrypted Sparsebundle- No Focus at Bootup
    ... I recall it used to have focus-- the insertion point was in the box at boot up and all I had to do was type in the PW. ... You're saying you don't know exactly how you set it up to mount ... Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: fsck at boot, skip a disk ?
    ... I just noticed something stupid of the Fedora boot. ... At boot, fsck stops and drops me a line or I mount ... This will boot the system with just the "/" file system mounted. ... Also note that the when the list of file system types after the -t ...
    (Fedora)