Re: Unable to change/set time in Fedora 9

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:51:37 +0200, Artnut typed this message:

Hi all,

A strange occurence happens with my pc. I have a dual boot XP and Fedora
9.
It runs some five hours ahead of whatever current location I set. In
Fedora, am UNABLE to set time through the graphical utility. Even if I
do a su root, I still cannot change the time. The only way it can be
done is by logging out as a user and then logging in as a root and then
ONLY through the terminal with a date -s command. The changes made this
way are accepted only to be lost when XP is booted and then XP runs some
five hours ahead. If I change the time in XP and come back to Fedora,
the changes/settings are lost. May I know why this happens.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Arty

You should be able to change the time with the GUI. Maybe your SELINUX
is preventing you or the GUI applet is broken.

I use a root crontab job to set the time every 12hrs but if needed I can
use the time GUI. If there's no error messages in /var/log about the
time you can try uninstalling/reinstalling the time GUI. NTP is working
since you can set the time from the commandline.

  • Unable to change/set time in Fedora 9
    ... Fedora, am UNABLE to set time through the graphical utility. ... by logging out as a user and then logging in as a root and then ONLY ... changes/settings are lost. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Adding Fedora to grub
    ... Writa a stanza for Fedora in /boot/grub/menu.lst. ... You must be root to do ... "Lost? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re:Deploring *nix Philosophy
    ... > our different understanding of 'Desktop Installation'. ... > accounts for different family members and root account is managed by the ... initially invest in a fedora bible of sorts. ... bring the complexity or power of the OS down to the level of a windows ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FC7 user dead
    ... what is strange is that if I log as root I find many processes still ... Fedora 7 unusable. ... X/Gnome simply will not complete it's ... livna's kmod-nvidia*, and with varying levels of customization to my ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Force to update to f10, but yum cant bring it into synch.
    ... I killed x trying to make this)*(&%$ video card work so I put the f10 dvd ... title Fedora ... root ... initrd /initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img ...
    (Fedora)