Re: SP3, to be or not to be : that is the kook-troll?

JEDIDIAH wrote:

Neither Ubuntu nor OpenSuse will touch a disk you don't tell it to.

I've used Linux for a long time ! On this one I'm going to have to
agree with Kadaitcha Man.

I run a mixed disk system, no M$ at all, SCSI + IDE ! Installing Open
SuSE 11.0 to the first BIOS drive i.e the IDE goes just fine until the
reboot then you find that grub has been installed on the first SCSI
drive, trashing the existing grub. Result grub errors and unbootable
machine.

To add to that, after correcting where grub should be and changing paths
to suit, which gets me a bootable machine. I then let a kernel update
take place to find that after a reboot I am back with an unbootable
machine because grub has been re-written on the first SCSI drive
again !

So I really don't belive that first line. Yes it installs on the drive
you assign but it puts grub on the first bootable drive !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

  • Re: GRUB Problems with Dell Optiplex GX1
    ... inappropriate boot image when they turn it on... ... It will boot from a floppy, but installing it to ... FreeBSD folks tend not to use Grub, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Grub and two distros
    ... the boot process. ... This will be aimed at some partition, ... eventually the GRUB configuration file will be read to start ... "Installing GRUB" is perhaps an understated description. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: macbook2,2 latest git mmconfig issues
    ... when installing the intaller was broken ... an older version it seems of grub. ... is activated netfiler is being activated, ... in PCI, when using MMCONFIG ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: GRUB Problems with Dell Optiplex GX1
    ... inappropriate boot image when they turn it on... ... It will boot from a floppy, but installing it to ... It would be nice to get GRUB on ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Mandrake & Windows 2000 Pro
    ... > This my first time installing and using Linux. ... I installed Mandrake ... > not see a booting option for windows 2000 pro it starts with Mandrake ... Add a stanza for 'Doze2K to your LILO or GRUB configuration file. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)