Re: which linux?

Nomen Nescio wrote:
I'm considering switching to linux because I don't want to
rely on MS anymore.Which linux should I get?My machine is
celeron,512MB ram, including video ram.I've tried *buntu and
solaris.I'm thinking of getting DSL or knoppix. Does any1 has
a better suggestion?

As mentioned earlier, Solaris ain't Linux, it's a Unix from Sun.

It's difficult to recommend a Linux distribution, specially when you are not telling for what you are using it for or what you like. There is no best Linux, everything depends on what you need and what you like, I do recommend you get hold of as many different LiveCD versions of the distributions, this way you can try and feel which feels right for you, then you will get the distribution that feels right for you and not a distribution whcih you may not like but Dan C, sk8r-365 or ray loves it.

For looking for different distributions take a look at www.distrowatch.com and read the descriptions and what packages they include and get a feel of which may be worth trying.

--

//Aho

  • Re: OT: what news reader do you use?
    ... Ubuntu linux. ... distribution started by a South African dot.com millionaire. ... DSL linux. ... your computer has less than 128 MB ram I would definitely consider DSL. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: Which linux?
    ... 512 MB SDRAM PC133 ... I'd recommend version 2.6.25.4 ... considering starting with Linux. ... distribution, which then cancels out all the answers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why so hard to setup hardware? Control panel?
    ... > Linux is the kernel, that everything else runs on top of. ... Linux people are knife builders and whittlers. ... > these common elements to make up their distribution. ... Depending on the distribution and the hardware platform my results have ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: linux vs mac
    ... There is a lot of software you can get to run on Linux, ... distribution is a Linux distribution packaged so as to be useful for ... you might also want to consider another operating system, ... Even Fink is only a marginal improvement, since the packages are so out of date. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Why so hard to setup hardware? Control panel?
    ... >> Linux is the kernel, that everything else runs on top of. ... >> these common elements to make up their distribution. ... > Depending on the distribution and the hardware platform my results have ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)