Re: What Linux really needs

Crashdamage wrote:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:24:35 +0100, Christopher_Hunter
<invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Crashdamage wrote:

I couldn't care less what Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb think.

/I/ could - it's actually quite important. As long as they don't see
Linux
as a threat, then so much the better for us. When the development of our
favourite OS makes Windows an insignificant irrelevance (as it already is
in the web server field), they won't see it coming...

They're not that stupid. They're paying attention.

Not really. They've been blind-sided repeatedly by FOSS developments!

We have several software pacakges and IE-only websites which we must use
to service our customers which are not supported on Linux. There is no
way whatsoever to NOT run Windows. I certainly would if I could.

I used to think that, until I discovered that *any* "web application" could
be trivially rebuilt using FOSS. If you need to know how to do it, my
consultancy fees are quite reasonable!

We, and most businesses, have no choice but to run M$ on the server and
the desktop. Again, In order to use the IE-only client websites and
Windows-only crapware that is required, nothing else will do but Windows.

Wee build web applications that /specifically/ don't allow the use of IE.
The fundamental insecurity, instability and general incompatibility of IE
r]just makes it another MS attempt at "vendor lock-in".

We can't even use virtualization to achieve what we need. It's very much
a Windoze world in business and much as I wish it weren't so, I just don't
see Linux being a realistic alternative for many years.

You're probably ten years behind the times. Many companies, institutions,
and many Governments - outside the USA - are leaving proprietary software
to the home market - MS is mostly an expensive irrelevance. MS can't even
make their file formats compatible from version to version of "Office".
It's just /another/ attempt at forcing unwanted "upgrades" on to their
users.

Now, for a few large companies that can dictate what they use such as your
above example, maybe. For the vast majority of businesses who cannot
pick and choose, no way, no how.

Making the business case for FOSS is now easier than ever, particularly when
there are plenty of FOSS companies willing and able to provide high quality
end-user support at realistic prices.

As an aside: a large architectural company I do business with paid MS
for "support" for their 200+ machines "running" XP. Whenever they
had /any/ problem, all that MS "support" could ever tell them to do
was "Reformat and Reinstall".

Until they "saw the light" and migrated to a combination of Red Hat for
their servers and Suse or Ubuntu for their desktops, they used to regularly
lose huge amounts of important data. They now pay a trivially small amount
annually to Red Hat and another support company, and they have /no/
significant problems at all!

C.

  • ILLEGAL ACCOUNTING/RETAIL/RESTAURANT SOFTWARE --> VERY RARE DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... Business Machine-compatible industry. ... requires Windows 7, you will most likely need to upgrade your graphics ... startup in the fashion retailing business, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: My Migrations
    ... particular model with "Windows, Linux, or BeOS" they lose a million ... If a competitor looks like gaining market share they simply buy them, ... MS wanted a share of the entertainment business, ... monopolies. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: OT: Re: Rest in Peace, Mr. Ritchie
    ... Windows sucked no matter who ran it. ... Well, people that ran real business bitched up a storm to the point the DOJ took MS to court, and after hearing both sides, the Judge found MS guilty, really guilty. ... This is what happens when competition is stifled by iron fisted monopolies. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • RE: FreeBSDs Visual Identity: Outdated?
    ... heard, expressed, etc., of how the fsck'ed up world of business does IT ... >> Im a FreeBSD user. ... >CEO's choose Windows because they think that there's enough Windows ... >Windows consultants can see that it's impossible. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: FreeBSDs Visual Identity: Outdated?
    ... heard, expressed, etc., of how the fsck'ed up world of business does IT ... >> Im a FreeBSD user. ... >CEO's choose Windows because they think that there's enough Windows ... >Windows consultants can see that it's impossible. ...
    (freebsd-arch)