Re: Not quite happy with Ubuntu... What should I try now?

GPS wrote:

It was not an insult. I'm starting to consider changing over one of my
Ubuntu systems to something else, because I'm in a similar boat. I've used
GNU/Linux and BSD (Net and Open) for years. At times things are great, but
at other times it's a hair pulling experience just to get things working,
especially with newer hardware.

-GPS

I'm using a couple of Linux machines. One is an AMD Ath 64 X2 AM2 chip on a NEW ASUS micro-ATX mb, 4GB of DDR2 mem, WD 500GB "AAKS" hd SATA DVD-burner. Only "old" device is an nVidia 7950GT video card. Runs great without any hardware issues.

Second Box is similar except that its a Core2Duo E6600 CPU on an Intel 35DP35 mb. WD 320GB "AAKS" hd, WD 160GB "ks" hd, same kind of video card. (320GB has /, 160GB has swap and /home)

Both were originally intended to be Windows boxes, but I had second thoughts.

Both boxes run GREAT, very solid, stable (Mandriva 2009.0 installed from "One" Gnome Live CD). Play movies, use Skype with a Logitech HD webcam. Google Earth can get a little choppy if I push it hard. All the apps I use load and run very fast.

(I hear you about hair removal. I'm still beating on the boxes pretty hard to make sure they are completely stable before I move all my email over. Its the last app to go on them.)

  • Re: New 32-bit (x86) computing options from Sun, Oracle, and Red Hat explained today.
    ... Because Dell systems are generally crud. ... which turns out to be that the hardware timer tick ... As far as these flaky boxes go, ... for the first time so I can put in a bigger drive then maybe I'll grab ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Development advice
    ... developed some apps with pocket access, but I now need to develop some apps ... What programming languages do you know and prefer (Visual Studio 2003 ... Edit boxes are easy to program and about the only generic input ... and real users start using them in the real world. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: Belated look at the OSXhints April Fools front page
    ... decent sized chunk of most Mac apps is. ... What I have trouble doing is learning how to use new software when I ... Mac (Visio is WIndows only) and it can open Visio files. ... The network map has a load of boxes on it connected by lines ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: 3Com Superstack 3 or Sonicwall PRO 300
    ... FYI - 3Com OEM's the SonicWALL firmware for their boxes. ... Like any other piece of hardware, ... >> to software solution and these two came out best in a labs test in PCPro ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz
    ... We seek someone to consult/advice on both the purchase of hardware used ... manufacturer to build and service the boxes under contract. ... The Operating System / Package management system design should meet the ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)