Why do some distros have SH opened by Kwrite?

In one particular distro, though can't remember right which one
(Fedora, maybe), an SH file is opening in Kwrite. I'm not too sure I
did everything correctly, but managed to force it to be executed but
nothing happened. Even in the distro that did launch it, no change
occurred.

The file in question was for a Windows XP theme which, for me, seems
like the ideal solution.

I realized something yesterday, when we Window$ converts are heading
over to Linux and ask for a "Windows-like" distro, it isn't that we
want Window$, it's that we want the most look-alike LOOK of Windows.
When I found reference to a WindowsXP theme, that struck me as
perfect. Also, though I don't know why it doesn't work properly, but
the LinuxXP was _perfect_! I just couldn't get it to open anything
but USB external devices. When I double-clicked on any
folders/partitions native on the hdd, nothing happened.

But the executable in the XP theme I dl does zippo so was wondering if
anyone knows what might be happening as I haven't a clue.

If I can get an XP theme to work, I'd be able to switch all the family
over with no fuss, no muss. The Explorer-like file manager was great
on that distro and the feel of it was very familiar and it brought
back memories of Calmira! No, Calmira was just a GUI and did not give
us Win9x on our Win3x machines, but it gives as an identical-looking
interface which was completely awesome. In fact, it helped a
non-computer friend make the switch to 32bit very smooth. _I'm_ a
power user and I've been finding the Linux environment very alien
because I'm a 20-year M$ user and it's become habit despite my not
liking their OSs, but LinuxXP seemed very, very comfortable to me and
the best of both worlds. I have to keep a foot in the Window$
environment due to work. If I have a Window$-like interface at home
with the Linux power, that would be ideal.

But like I said, though I got the Phrank theme saver to work, couldn't
actually get the XP theme one to do so, as well ('course, they're not
the same thing but I did manage to install this "app" so guessing that
the distro isn't completely closed).

Going to go find and dl other themes and see if maybe it isn't just
this particular theme that is the problem.

  • Re: Recommend a very light Linux distribution for very old computer
    ... Which distribution of Linux, ... Which distro you use won't matter that much;-) ... kernel, weight of window manager or desktop environment, etc. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why do some distros have SH opened by Kwrite?
    ... Even in the distro that did launch it, ... Window$, it's that we want the most look-alike LOOK of Windows. ... The Explorer-like file manager was great on ... user and I've been finding the Linux environment very alien because I'm ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Why do some distros have SH opened by Kwrite?
    ... Even in the distro that did launch it, ... if such a thing is possible in Linux which I don't see ... something that once Window$ is ... I'll give them some time to adapt and then install Linux completely ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • [kde] Re: Some text doesnt respect Themes font coloring.
    ... kubuntu ppa to get it as fast as possible) Is the rewrite of the ... Just of curiousity, what distro do you use, Duncan? ... (minus some graphical corruption with window decorations but im gonna ... down and stable enough to be what I'd describe as a stable replacement ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Recommend a very light Linux distribution for very old computer
    ... I am installing windows 98 and I would also like ... use this thing for some time, your best investment will be more memory. ... If more memory is out of the question, I would try a distro that looks ... which window manager/desktop you might prefer. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)