Re: Did you switch from Windows to Linux? How did you find the process?

On 11/12/2009 08:57 AM, philo wrote:
MarcB wrote:
RodMcKay wrote:

I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.

So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
been for other Windows users. thx.

I made the change when vista came out.
At first I dual booted windows & linux, after knowing linux a little
better, I erased windows from my hard drive in order to have more
space for films.

On my site, I described the process, and wrote down some settings as a
memory aid.

https://sites.google.com/site/marcshomesite/Home

Good info

I did a test install of Vista and there were no drivers for my very
common sound card and SCSI card.

Even with all the updates and the system tweaked for best performance...
it ran terribly.

I installed Linux and was very happy to see that *all* my hardware was
detected just fine. As someone who has been using Linux on a part time
basis for many years...this was the year I made the transition to it
being my main OS.

Since my machine has removable drive kits...I can compare different
operating systems on the same H/W

My main machine is a dual core XP-2800+ with three gigs of RAM

The speed test I ran was simply copy an entire CD to the harddrive,
then delete it.

Using either Linux or XP...the time was about the same...

however from Vista...it took *twice* as long

Though Microsoft has now lost me as a customer...
I suppose I should give Win7 a try...
but I will not be using it other than for evaluation
do you still have eCS or OS/2? I am still waiting for eCS 2.0 to come out.

  • Re: OT: So How Would You Suggest a Confirmed Windows User Convert to Linux?
    ... So if I wanted to switch rather than fight, ... How long will it take before I can use a Linux ... machine with the same proficiency I am currently using a Windows machine? ... Virtualbox host takes hardware and software it understands and presents ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • blog post: Tips for Windows users making the switch to Linux
    ... TEN TIPS FOR WINDOWS USERS MAKING THE SWITCH TO LINUX ... It took me two months to wean myself off my Windows machine for good. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Internet Explorer, again
    ... > A while ago I asked about how to secure a LAN with one client running IE ... > VMware on Linux, so most of the time my wife used Linux. ... One for Linux, and one for Windows. ... > The way the switch works is it switches the power to either the Linux ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Internet Explorer, again
    ... > A while ago I asked about how to secure a LAN with one client running IE ... > VMware on Linux, so most of the time my wife used Linux. ... One for Linux, and one for Windows. ... > The way the switch works is it switches the power to either the Linux ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)