Re: Terminal newsreaders

Jasen Betts <jasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
slrn has text-file based configuration.

tin also got that, either .tinrc or (what I prefer), put all the
tin files into a .tin SUBdir and then the config is tinrc (without
the first . as it's already in a hidden directory.

You can get a model (proto) file from /etc/tin, but mostly you set
some options inside tin itself, let it save the tinrc and then you
can (when tin is NOT running) edit it from there (it is well commented:

# tin configuration file V1.3.7
# This file was automatically saved by rtin 1.8.3 20070201 ("Scotasay")
#
# Do not edit while tin is running, since all your changes to this file
# will be overwritten when you leave tin.
#

# Directory where articles/threads are saved
default_savedir=~/News

# If ON articles/threads with Archive-name: in mail header will
# be automatically saved with the Archive-name & part/patch no.
auto_save=ON

# If ON mark articles that are saved as read
mark_saved_read=ON

# Perform post processing (saving binary attachments) from saved articles.
# Possible values are (the default is marked with *):
# * 0 = no
# 1 = extract shell archives (shar) only
# 2 = yes
post_process_type=0

# If set, post processed files will be opened in a viewer
post_process_view=ON

# If ON only save/print/pipe/mail unread articles (tagged articles excepted)
process_only_unread=ON

# If ON show empty Followup-To header when editing an article
prompt_followupto=OFF

# What should we ask confirmation for.
confirm_choice=commands

etc.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@xxxxxxxxxx - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **

  • Re: notification if new posts in marked threads
    ... This should be my first post sent with tin. ... By default tin only shows unread articles. ... other commands than on the Thread Level, ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • [tin] with slrnpull
    ... tin can read articles from an nntp server, ... tin can read articles from a news spool. ... First, one has to decide, where slrnpull should have its dir ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Can I Configure tin to look like trn?
    ... Meanwhile some1 says tin is better at handling hier article ... I use slrn, which is probably the ... Slrn requires a separate text editor for composing articles and managing ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Got idle CPU cycles?
    ... You seem to be using tin, which supports filter and killfile concepts that ... enable a reader to skip articles based on various criteria. ... Here's a sample from a manpage for tin filtering under Linux: ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • slrn versus tin (was: Automating news downloads?)
    ... so it can download articles at system startup. ... Frank wonder how Tin compares with Slrn for offline reading. ...
    (news.software.readers)