Re: [Fedora 14] is dd at 10Gb/hr worth doing on a 1Tb hard drive?

ray wrote:

The fact remains that one pass is not going to make the data
irretrievable. They could still get the data if they really wanted to.

(a) that is probably not true any more and (b) requires extreme efforts as
the platters have to be taken out of the hdd, somehow scanned at much higher
resolution and then statistically interpreted.

If I were you, I would repartition the drive and format the partitions -
that should be sufficient for your needs.

As long as the OP is aware that after doing so every novice can recover his
old files with freely available tools. So the above is no alternative to
wiping the disk using dd if you need this level of security.

If dd is too slow, put the disk on a sufficiently fast interface.

Martin

  • Re: [Fedora 14] is dd at 10Gb/hr worth doing on a 1Tb hard drive?
    ... that is probably not true any more and requires extreme efforts ... put the disk on a sufficiently fast interface. ... If he were talking about selling this at a thrift store, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: XP to W2K?
    ... Ray, we're a small company with 8 computers. ... > you have other drivers, say yes and insert the driver disk. ... but W2K installer can't find either of them. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: XP to W2K?
    ... Perform a "Clean" Installation in Windows 2000 Server ... into Disk Management and tell me if the disk is basic or dynamic? ... > Ray, we're a small company with 8 computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Make a bootable floppy disk
    ... Ray wrote: ... > From the context menu choose Format. ... you can name the disk by clicking in the ... Windows installation CD to boot and perform recovery options. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • You are not authorized to view this page
    ... I've wasted a lot of time installing my new SBS 2003 due ... to the defect in disk 3. ... I've uninstalled things per Ray ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)