Re: Linux Desktop...Does anyone even care?

Aragorn wrote:

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 12:03 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
flatfish+++ wrote...

On Wed, 04 May 2011 11:52:08 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 11:09 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying
as flatfish+++ wrote...

It's been twenty years and Linux desktop has gone no place.

Which does of course entail that it's also not going South, like your
beloved Wintendo has.

Windows is number one.....

Because it's being pushed down everyone's throat with the acquisition of
most new home and office desktop PCs. This is already known to
everyone. Big deal.

My old computer blew up a while ago. I bought a new PC two weeks ago,
from a shop that had a specific PC model on offer as an Easter
promotion campaign. They had to assemble one specifically for me - but
with all the standard components - because all the pre-built ones had
Windows installed on them and the serial numbers et al had already been
entered and the stickers applied.

Mine has the exact same specs and the exact same hardware, but it was
some 100 Euro cheaper as I didn't have to buy the Windows license.
I've had them put in the hard disk from the computer that had died
(alongside of the new and still blank hard disk the machine came
equipped with by default), and it booted up in my old GNU/Linux system.
Works like a charm. So what's the problem?

Stop deluding yourself.

I'm not deluding myself at anything. GNU/Linux works for me, and for
millions of other people. Why should I give a hoot about your
so-beloved toy operating system?

Why waste time on it?

I'm not wasting any time on it. I'm using it. Quite happily so.
Wouldn't want anything else.

So you are amongst the 1 percenters.

More like 5 percent. And if you look at this Wikipedia page here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

... it says, among other things, the following...

<quote>
"Caitlyn Martin, researching retail market numbers in the
summer of 2010 also concluded that the traditional numbers
mentioned for Linux desktop adoption were far too low:

"It seems like almost every day someone in the tech
press or someone commenting in a technical forum will
claim that Linux adoption on the desktop (including
laptops) is insignificant. The number that is thrown
around is 1%. These claims are even repeated by some
who advocate for Linux adoption. Both the idea that
Linux market share on the desktop is insignificant
and the 1% figure are simply false and have been for
many years... Where does the 1% number come from?
There are two sources: very old data and web counters.
The problem with using web counters to try and
ascertain market share is that they generally only
include websites that have paid to be counted. That
pretty much guarantees that Windows will be
overcounted."
-- Caitlyn Martin"
</quote>

... and this...:

<quote>
"I don't believe that the desktop Linux market share is barely
1%. I think it is a lot higher. I have no good data to share;
I base my assessment on experience and knowing the industry.
There is something else that is even more persuasive, and
that is how Microsoft behaves. If Linux is so insignificant,
why do they pay so much attention to it?
-- Carla Schroder, Linux Today"

</quote>

... and this...:

<quote>
"Gartner claimed that Linux-powered personal computers
accounted for 4% of unit sales in 2008."
</quote>

This particular Wikipedia page also further addresses some of the things
I've said in my previous reply to you (and which GNU/Linux advocates
have been trying to convey to you and your Wintendo-fan friends for
years already).

It also says this...:

<quote>
"TechRepublic writer Jack Wallen expands on this barrier, saying
in August 2008:

"Why would anyone choose Windows over Linux?... In my
seriously biased opinion, I think this question is
answered with a simple conspiracy theory: Microsoft is
doing everything it can to keep the public blind to
Linux. Think about it? Remember the whole Wintel
conspiracy where MS and Intel played off of each other
to continue their strangle-hold monopoly in the PC
industry? That era played a huge part in the blinding
of consumers. Top that with the business practices MS
forces upon big box shops to insure (sic) their
operating system is sold on nearly every PC sold and
you can see that conspiracy is more of a reality than
one might think.""
</quote>

... As well as this...:

<quote>
"Linux's credibility has also been under attack at times, but
as Ron Miller of LinuxPlanet points out:

"...the fact that Linux is being criticized is probably a
good thing.

First of all, it shows that Linux is making headway in
the enterprise and beginning to have an impact on
competitors and they are reacting to that. Secondly,
it's healthy to take a long look at any solution and
analyze its strengths and weaknesses and the economic
ramifications of one choice over another.

Ultimately, consumers and decision makers need to look
carefully at the data including the sources of the data
and the criticism and decide if Linux is the right
decision, but as more people choose Linux and it finds
its place in the market, it is bound to wear a target.
That's simply the price you pay for success in the
marketplace.""
</quote>

And finally, *this* little gem, from the horse's mouth...:

<quote>
"In January 2001, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates explained the
attraction of adopting Linux in an internal memo that was
released in the Comes vs Microsoft case. He said:

"Our most potent Operating System competitor is Linux
and the phenomena around Open Source and free software.
The same phenomena fuels competitors to all of our
products. The ease of picking up Linux to learn it or
to modify some piece of it is very attractive. The
academic community, start up companies, foreign
governments and many other constituencies are putting
their best work into Linux.""
</quote>

Note the words "The ease of picking up Linux [...] is very attractive".

Your point?

... *My* point is that *you* don't *have* a point.

Snip----More pipe dreams.....

Please carefully quote any of what I have said in my reply to you which
would have been a dream of any sorts, let alone a pipe dream. Here's a
hint: you can't, because I didn't write any of such stuff. The Usenet
archives of Google are my witness.

Don't make up shit about people - shit which you can't even prove
because it *is* shit - just to win your debate. It makes you a sore
loser and a terrible advocate for your cause - whatever your cause is,
because as GNU/Linux and FLOSS are all about Freedom and Choice, I
don't see why any of this market share nonsense would be any of your
concern. Unless you're being paid by Microsoft to make up this
nonsense, of course.

It's either that, or you are suffering from severe psychosis. I'll
leave it up to you to come out of the closet about either (or both) of
those two scenarios. But let's just say that after all of these years
of seeing you post the same old drivel, I think I have a pretty good
idea on what your motivation is. But unlike you, I don't generally
insult or humiliate people, so I'll keep that opinion to myself.

Have a nice day.

Well said, Aragorn. :-)

To add to that, there is also:

"Debunking the [Linux] 1% myth"
<q>
What do the netbook numbers mean in terms of overall desktop and laptop
sales? According to Forrester Research netbooks were 18% of total
desktop/laptop sales last year. If we do the math we find that due to
netbooks alone Linux captured nearly 6% of the desktop market in 2009.
In order to reach a total number we need to add larger laptops and
desktops both from companies like Dell, HP (their business line) as
well as smaller boutique vendors.

Additional confirmation of the growth in Linux desktop market share
last year came from an unlikely source: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
Using a slide to visualize OS market share Ballmer had Linux desktop
market share as a slightly larger slice of the pie than MacOS. Nobody
considers Apple insignificant on the desktop and neither is Linux.

Does anyone believe that Microsoft would see Linux as a serious
competitor is Linux had captured just 1% of the market? That doesn't
seem very likely, does it? All the figures I have quoted so far
represent sales of systems preloaded with a given operating system:
Windows, MacOS or Linux. They do not represent actual usage. If you go
down to the local brick and mortar computer shop or big box retailer,
buy a system with Windows, wipe the hard drive and install Linux that
still counts as a Windows system, not a Linux system.

So what is Linux real market share on the desktop? The best estimate
for present sales is around 8%, which puts Linux just a little behind
or perhaps just about even with MacOS. 8% translates to 24 million
systems per year sold with Linux preloaded.

<q>
http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09/debunking-the-1-myth.html

--
The world will end in 5 minutes. Please log out.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.

  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... So your saying that Microsoft makes billions monthly because people DESIRE ... I am too fracking lazy to teach myself the intricacies of Linux. ... All of the WINDOWS operating systems and office products are upgradeable to the latest security fixes and bug fixes. ... OS problems overwrites all personal files on the disk. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Why do so many people love Teas Instruments?
    ... That is why casual user drives what is mass market ... in the initial Linux package and she wanted to do it herself. ... You can do it without any help on Windows in 99% of cases using simple GUI ... when some more features such as programming are needed. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Re: Good reading
    ... > As a Linux desktop user himself, ... > infected Windows PC after it had become compromised. ... > so fed up with spyware, trojans, viruses, and spam, that he ... Everyone, even Microsoft, knows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Good reading
    ... The last time a spyware scanner found so much as a questionable cookie on my machine was last year after installing a children's game for my daughter. ... > As a Linux desktop user himself, ... it's time to switch from Windows to Linux. ... Everyone, even Microsoft, knows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: An Open Letter To The Linux Enthusiasts.
    ... > I've been following these Linux threads with some interest because I ... > Microsoft a way distant 3rd. ... Ground Rules for the Windows-Macintosh War by David Pogue of the New ... Windows because it's bloated and cryptic, for example, or the iPod ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)