Re: Playing Blueray disks?

On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:22:26 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Jones <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Responding to: Danno
<snip>
However, as long as we're going to see tricks like batteries with
lock-in microchips to make sure you only buy the company's products,
I'll be keeping my investments in that scam to a minimum and looking for
alternatives.

So, for me, Blu-Ray does indeed suck, not because hi-def isn't a good
thing, but because Sony, like they did with VHS, have managed to screw
things up so badly, its virtually worthless.

I can relate. I've been keeping an eye out for a cell phone that can run
on AA rechargeables, and just sends & receives calls *only* - fat chance.
So much is designed with "planned obsolescence", proprietary parts,
configured in a way to promote a monthly expenditure & lack of ownership
by the middle class consumer, it's mind-boggling (to me).

But until I (or someone else) is actually able to bring to market, products
which run counter to the current customer-gouging ethic, the trend will
continue. As J.G. Miller implied in another subthread, there just doesn't
seem to be a lot of concern by the general public over this change in
economics.

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755