Re: Antivirus for Windows that runs under Linux?

On 23/08/11 15:07, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 22/08/2011 7:27 PM, David W. Hodgins wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:04:06 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

into my Linux and scan the Windows drives from it. Are there any
antivirus software that run from within Linux?

Yes. Clamav, and Avg. ClamAv is provided by most distributions, or you
can download it from
http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/download/

Okay, looks like Clamav is available through the Ubuntu software center.
When I installed and ran it, it said that there were both a program
update and a definition update available for it. It finished downloading
the definition update, but it didn't update the program. Seems a little
confused.

For Avg, it's available at
http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf

They are both designed to catch m$ viruses, but run under linux.

Ah okay, I see that there's a *.deb for it, but when I run it, the
software installer says it's a "badly formed" install file or something
like that.

Yousuf Khan

you need run clamtk as root, then use the update option from the GUI IIRC. it won't let you update the program itself without being root (which makes sense, why should normal users be installing/updating programs?).

  • Re: Yet Another Recommendation Request: Noob, user (not server), just to fool around...
    ... Knoppix is a hell of an effective advertisement for Linux to core ... enough to run their installer programs, to load them onto the hard disk. ... and FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: AVG Antivirus....More Ads added on my web searches? And a Virus question!
    ... to do a Repair Install to get a fresh copy from the Windows installer CD. ... If the infection has a name, sometimes you can download a "cleaner" ... malware designs out there, that can "punch out" of a virtual machine. ... When I boot Linux in a VM, Linux can tell immediately it's inside ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Whose is smaller
    ... Fujitsu LifeBook P2000's key locations. ... MSI Installer anecdotal info in my footnote.] ... > Linux partition... ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 21
    ... the falsh installer,it says "please enter the installation path of ... > I am a complete novice in the world of LINUX.. ... > And the company is gonna run a web centric ERP application across a VPN. ... > checked some things had not got written to the disk, the SCSI errors. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: how run linux from CD, porblem is very problematic
    ... The installer starts ok, but the ... What version of Windows are you running? ... You must understand that the graphical environments of modern Linux ... about linux programming. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)