Re: Solid State Drives?

root wrote:

Are the solid state drives which are rated sata-600
any faster than spinning hard disks equivalently
rated?

hdparm rates my spinning disk:
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 23882 MB in 1.99 seconds = 11975.70 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 438 MB in 3.01 seconds = 145.35 MB/sec

The "advertised" speed of a Corsair 240Gb drive is 550/520 Mb/sec
which is 3.5 times as fast.

Any experience with these drives?

Thanks.

not with this drive specifically. In certain "seeky" access scenarios the
SSD's advantage is much more significant, but there is a reason that most of
the reports feeding the SSD hype include

(a) Ms Windows
(b) initial access scenarios (like booting or firing up an application for
the first time)

I switched my linux systems to SSD and yes I enjoy faster boot times and
faster loading of apps, but on the whole the difference is underwhelming.

Martin

  • Re: Solid State Drives?
    ... Are the solid state drives which are rated sata-600 ... any faster than spinning hard disks equivalently ... in a single directory. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Solid State Drives?
    ... Are the solid state drives which are rated sata-600 ... any faster than spinning hard disks equivalently ... hdparm rates my spinning disk: ...
    (alt.os.linux)