Re: SSD mystery deepens

Hello,

root a écrit :

1. Immediately after buying the drive and installing it.
no OS, no FS speed= 475MB/s
2. After partitioning into 2 120GB partitions and installing
an ext4 system with my OS speed=318 MB/s
3. After re-partitioning with 1 240GB partition, ext4 FS,
and my OS speed=228MB/s
[...]
In preparation for returning the drive I nulled out
the drive with:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb (I had switched the drive to sdb).

4. After zeroing out the entire drive I ran another speed test
and found speed=386MB/s
5. Encouraged I put an ext4 FS but no OS: speed=479MB/s

6. Wow, I was back in business, so this time I re-installed
the OS and was back to speed=228MB/s

I am completely baffled by these results. Anyone with the
slightest idea of what is happening?

Of course I may be wrong, but all this seems to confirm my theory that
the disk controller knows when blocks do not contain data and do not
actually read from them. So the actual read speed of actual data (which
is what matters, there is no point in reading blocks that do not contain
data) seems to be 228 MB/s.

  • Re: SSD mystery deepens
    ... Immediately after buying the drive and installing it. ... After partitioning into 2 120GB partitions and installing ... Encouraged I put an ext4 FS but no OS: ... there is no point in reading blocks that do not contain ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?
    ... sysinstall (still available from 'Live CD' mode, at BETA1 anyway) ... and says nothing much about installing over an existing setup with MBR ... partitioning and multiple slices, a not uncommon setup on many existing ... even people who've been installing FreeBSD for a decade or so have been ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Triple booting a Macbook w/ 2 Linux systems.
    ... I've got this MacBook Pro and I want to install 2 Linux systems on it. ... installing Windows at all, so do I need those Windows drivers? ... If I do this the partitioning schemes given are APMFormat ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Report for pmj (was Advice on getting written data into the computer)
    ... how did you get on with all your Partitioning & installing ... of all your different WinXP Installation ... new and partitioned HDD and the old and cluttered W98SE on the old HDD ... Overarching this practicalia is the original strategy of partitioning ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: freebsd install = computer failure for me
    ... > installation and partitioning) I've installed various operating systems, ... > My question is - anybody else have this problem with installing FreeBSD? ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)