Anonymizing Proxy Server Question

Take this picture:

LAN<->ROUTER<->MODEM<->[POSSIBLE-FIREWALL]<-> External-Destination

Suppose the LAN is, say, somewhere in China and
the desired External-Destination is disallowed
by the PRC.

A paper I have been reading suggests that it is
possible to insert a proxy server to the left
of the MODEM in the picture and, yet, have
the traffic to the External-Destination be
invisible to a firewall inserted by the PRC after
the MODEM.

If all traffic that leaves the MODEM has to go through
the PRC firewall then I can't see anyway it can
get to the destination. Moreover, I can't see
any way the attempt can be anonymized since the
MODEM identifies the sender.

I can see that a proxy inserted after the firewall
can work. That might be the case if that source
in China has friend/family in the US, for example,
who is willing to forward all traffic coming
from China.

Am I missing something?

  • China Human Rights Fact Sheet
    ... China Human Rights Fact Sheet ... Human rights violations in the People's Republic of China (PRC) remain ... The lack of accountability of the government and the Chinese ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: Mr. Ching Cheong, you love China, but does China love you?
    ... in this newsgroup jim Walsh had disclosed how the PRC is set up by Russian. ... Alex wrote: ... you know "china" NOT IN CAPITAL LETTER, you should know China in capital ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: Another China Currency Story
    ... 'China is overheating - that's clearly the case,' said Diana Choyleva ... goods if the yuan is not revalued: and with the American economy ... The consumer market in China is very different from the West's. ... PRC residents have no payment method except cash. ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: Mr. Ching Cheong, you love China, but does China love you?
    ... go to tell the PRC to give up the word CHINA,and used another word as Russian, as american treat the natives!!!!! ... Australia are not Australians unless they accept the name Australia. ... People's Republic of China is not China? ... I am a slave of US and I feel better than being a master of PRC. ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: Another China Currency Story
    ... Its a simple fact that if you don't have the money you ... in China well enough to ask about personal spending practices. ... In PRC, the story will be totally different! ... the banks have to consider their inactive debt. ...
    (soc.culture.china)