INDIA: Project Resource Centre...

From: Frederick Noronha (FN) (fred_at_bytesforall.org)
Date: 02/19/05

    Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:30:13 CST

      PRC: THE 'EXCHANGE' FOR IDEAS ON FREE SOFTWARE PROJECTS

      The PRC was set up by Trevor Warren <trevor.w@media.mit.edu> of Mumbai,
      India. It is open to anyone in any part of the globe, though we would like
      to primarily focus on initiatives within India. We specially welcome
      mentors from anywhere in the globe, who would like to share their knowledge
      with promising youngsters from here.

      Any member of PRC is welcome to post to the list. Subject to:

      o Please keep all posts on-topic and related to the intentions for which
      this initiative was set up (helping youngsters take on socially relevant,
      challenging and useful projects).

      o Post messages that would be of wider interest to the entire group. If
      you message is meant just for 3-4 persons, it could be taken offline. o
      Mentors are specially requested to post those messages that would (i) point
      to wider spheres in which a lot of work needs to be done (ii) post general
      hints that could give students the starting push

      This list works on the principles of Free/Libre and Open Source Software.
      Everyone is welcome to join, in the capacity you think best. All work is
      volunteer-based. Thank you for your support.

      Below is a brief explanation of the concept, from Trevor Warren: "Having
      been with the Free Software Community for such a long time there a lot i
      like about it and a lot I would like to see done about... The Project
      Resource Centre is a non-profit organisation that has been an effort
      kickstarted by the GNU/Linux users group of Mumbai... The people
      affialiated with us are those who can take time out to guide students on
      their way towards taking on and performing GNU/Linux based projects frm the
      stage of conception to delivery."

      We would like to appreciate the work of Himanshu Shukla
      (www.thefreespeech.org) for being instrumental in sparking off the course
      towards setting up the PRC. Dr G Nagarjuna has been an inspiring force. We
      have got enthusiastic support from Sarai.Net in Delhi, which hosts our
      lists and is also working on a micro-grants to support Free Software
      initiatives among students. Also thanks to Dinesh Shah, Shankar
      Ramachandran, and the many others who have helped this concept along the
      way. [Please include the names of others here.]

      Says Trevor: "From my vision i want to get the PRC to be a platform where
      in mentors-students democratically take up projects nd work together
      towards delivering on GNU/Linux and other Free Software projects that they
      might hav in mind." CopyLeft 2003, Frederick Noronha for the GNU/PRC
      mailing list.

      |------|____________________________________|------|
      ( >- / Scaling FreeSoftware & OpenSource \ -< )
      /~\ / In the Enterprise \ /~\
      | \) \ | www.fsf.org | www.opensource.org | / (/ |
      |_|_ \____________________________________/ _|_|

    # Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com #
    # PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION. #
    # This group is archived at http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/ #

    • INDIA: Respected Vice Chancellor...
      ... There are thousands of engineering and polytechnic colleges in India. ... alternate Free Software program available. ... accelerated possibilities and wider vistas to our students. ... Issues related to Free/Libre and Open Source Software in education are ...
      (comp.os.linux.announce)
    • Re: Where to find good lisp critiques?
      ... > recognizing as the whizzy thing that students want. ... > undercut the ability of vendors to cater to the needs of students. ... Free software isn't an engine at all. ... their income from academic and commercial licenses. ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Standard Ada Preprocessor
      ... All the OS and compiler dependencies are in the subunit Fill. ... Free Software Foundation, ... -- The root package for the File Lister software. ... I've created lists of Unbounded_Strings exceeding 3,000 strings without ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: FreeBSDs problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community
      ... doing cleanly is seperating free software from free beer. ... except that the license may not be removed. ... FreeBSD is BSD licenced and if you want to ... off-topic on the other lists. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Scanner wanted--Plustek UT24, or something else?
      ... >> supported by Free software. ... According to the lists at ... OCR is one area where Free stuff is seriously lagging. ... and owns the worm farm. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)