Re: CVS alternatives?

From: Christopher Browne (cbbrowne_at_acm.org)
Date: 07/21/03

Date: 21 Jul 2003 12:47:03 GMT

Harald Grossauer <harald.grossauer@uibk.ac.at> writes:
> We are soon starting a project where several people have to edit the same
> files at the same time. The only "source file" management system I have
> heard of yet until now is CVS. Many people told me that they have had lots
> of trouble with it, that it is difficult and cumbersome to use. Is that
> true? Is there an alternative?

There are some problems with it, though they don't usually show up
until you have multiple code repositories that you are trying to
synchronize.

Alternatives include:

 - Aegis
 - Arch
 - BitBucket
 - Bitkeeper
 - OpenCM
 - Subversion

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf" "@" "454aa"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/textversion.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: CVS alternatives?
    ... Ulrich Eckhardt wrote: ... > Harald Grossauer wrote: ... >>We are soon starting a project where several people have to edit the same ... > most severe design-limitations of cvs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: CVS alternatives?
    ... Harald Grossauer wrote: ... > We are soon starting a project where several people have to edit the same ... I think that subversionhas the most similarity to cvs yet avoids the ... existing repository from cvs to svn. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: CVS Checkout Lock
    ... Isn't that contrary to the whole idea of CVS? ... It seems the manual says that you can get reserved checkouts. ... is to allow only one person to edit each file at a time. ... It also may be possible to use the watches features ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: TextWrangler as CVS editor?
    ... and doing a "cvs commit" does result in TW opening and displaying the ... standard CVS log message header for editing, ... before any editor actions take place. ... Try passing the -w option to the edit command. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Real world use of CVS within JDeveloper
    ... Does anyone have anything good to say about JDeveloper's use of CVS? ... I've previously used WSAD but due to constraints I ... I've just checked in an edit on a file on one of the team PCs but I ... This then forces me down the line of going back to find the jdev 'cvs ...
    (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)