Re: image dump of hidden X session

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd_at_daimi.au.dk)
Date: 08/11/03

    Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:00:31 +0200

    mase wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:34:56 +0000, phil-news-nospa wrote:
    >
    > > | Image is a repetitive pattern.
    > >
    > > That could mean any number of things, depending on what is repeating.
    > > For example, an image with the pixel array re-interpreted as to width
    > > and color depth could come out very strange. I've played with raw image
    > > files enough to see lots of that.
    >
    > A question. Does it work well to all you?
    >
    > Because that would clarify me enough things.
    >
    > From a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1):
    >
    > #> start -- :1

    You mean startx?

    > The new X session will appear at C-Alt-F8. And then from first X session
    > (Ctr-Alt-F7), in a xterm:
    >
    > #> xwd -display :1 -root | xwud

    I never tried it between two X servers on the same computer. I always
    used it between X servers on different computers. My computer BTW
    will not run more than one X server at a time. I have never seen the
    problem you describe, and I can hardly imagine that the two X servers
    being on the same computer would be the reason for the problem.

    So I'll have to start guessing about what can be the cause for the
    problem. I know it can be a problem if you try to take a screen shot
    of a display that is currently "blanked" by some screensaver. What
    will happen is that you get a shot of the screensaver instead. This
    has happened to me very often. If that is not what is happening to
    you my next guess would be, that the reason is, that something goes
    wrong when attempting to take a shot of a display while X is not on
    the active VC. I have seen gnome crashing if certain combination of
    events happened while X was not on the active VC, so it wouldn't
    seem completely unlikely that xwd could break as well. I'll try that
    some day.

    --
    Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid paa usenet.
    For sending spam use mailto:aaarep@daimi.au.dk