Tomcat 4.1 memory hog

From: Glen Cumming (glen_at_cumming66.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 09/03/03

    Date: 3 Sep 2003 03:37:07 -0700

    Hi,

    Have been using Tomcat 3.3.1 under redhat 6.2 quite successfully
    (using ibm java 1.3).

    Am upgrading to use redhat 7.3, ibm java 1.4 and tomcat 4.1.

    Using tomcat 3.3.1 the memory usage is around 30-40 meg mark (when
    used lightly), when using tomcat 4.1 its around 140-150 meg.

    Is this normal?

    This is not a big server, its only supposed to handle requests for a
    few users and therefore its not got a huge amount of memory - 256 meg
    max which is shared with other processes, so tomcat memory usage is a
    bit over the top.

    I've also tried using the AJP13 connectors but these often report out
    of memory and pages only half load.

    I know that I can increase the max memory usage of java, but I don't
    want to do that, I want to reduce the size of tomcat - I've tried
    reducing the number of threads for the connectors but to no avail.

    Is tomcat 4 just a memory hog or have I configured something
    incorrectly (just one web app configured) - I can stick with 3.3.1 but
    I wanted to go latest and greatest and also this means I have no
    upgrade path!

    Cheers for any help,

    Glen

    • Re: More threads
      ... I upgraded to a machine with more memory thinking i had solved my OutOfMemeoryError, - but low and behold, it was my heap size allocation.... ... I been benchmarking a Java servlet I have created and I want to be able to handle a massive amount of simultaneous connections. ... When I max it out with my benchmarks I get this in catalina Tomcat 5.5 but there is still plenty of free memory to the Tomcat process. ... I have been getting the best performance with libthr and have been using the above libthr and with these settings below. ...
      (freebsd-performance)
    • JVM memory problem on Linux
      ... I have encountered a problem using tomcat, ... My problem seem to be a JVM memory deallocation problem on Linux. ... another configuration problem. ...
      (comp.lang.java)
    • Tomcat out of memory
      ... I've a situation where Tomcat is crashing with an out of memory error ... Tomcat becomes unresponsive, writes out of memory to the catalina log, ... that Tomcat forks javac processes to another memory partition. ...
      (comp.lang.java.help)
    • Re: Tomcat out of memory
      ... > tens of thousands of jsp pages, and every time one of them is compiled ... > Tomcat becomes unresponsive, writes out of memory to the catalina log, ... > that Tomcat forks javac processes to another memory partition. ... The Java compiler leaks memory each time a class is compiled. ...
      (comp.lang.java.help)
    • Re: how many tomcat instances on one machine
      ... I have about 1GB of memory and the initiali heap for Tomcat is ... This email is certified to be Spam free by Spam Marshall ... >Just curious to see if anyone has run lots of separate tomcat instances on ...
      (comp.lang.java.help)