Re: Internet related libraries

From: Roger Leigh (${roger}_at_invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid)
Date: 12/23/03

    Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:30:28 +0000

    "Cecil Westerhoff" <cwesterh@wanadoo.nl> writes:

    > I just started with programming under linux with c++. I have programmed
    > for years with Borland C++ Builder. So I have some experience. But I can
    > not find the libraries for intenet stuff. (Ping, fetching a page, etc.)
    > The only thing I found was a library for CGI. Can someone tell me where to
    > find those libraries? Or for that mather where to look for libraries in
    > general?

    Firstly, try asking on comp.os.linux.development.apps. We're a
    friendly bunch :-)

    Secondly, for basic networking you don't need anything more
    sopisticated than the C Standard Library (GNU libc), which includes
    the POSIX/Single UNIX networking system calls. See
    <URL:http://www.unix.org/version3/online.html> for more details. Have
    a look at connect(), socket() etc. in the "System Interfaces" section.

    This quick search shows some of the C++ networking libraries in
    Debian:

    $ apt-cache search net | grep -i "C++"
    [irrelevent packages snipped]
    libace-dev - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit in C++
    libace5.3.1 - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit in C++
    libcapsinetwork-dev - C++ network server library, development files
    libcapsinetwork0 - C++ network server library
    libccrtp-dev - Common C++ class framework for RTP packets
    libccrtp1-1.0-0c102 - Common C++ class framework for RTP packets
    libcommoncpp2-1.0-0c102 - A GNU package for creating portable C++ programs
    libcommoncpp2-dev - Header files and static libraries for Common C++ "2"
    libicq2000 - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library
    libicq2000-dev - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library - development files
    libicq2000-doc - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library - documentation
    libpbd0 - Library of useful, generic C++ objects
    libwvstreams3 - C++ network libraries for rapid application development
    libwvstreams3-base - C++ network libraries for rapid application development
    libyehia0.5-0 - Yehia - A C++ application framework - runtime
    libyehia0.5-dev - Yehia - A C++ application framework - development

    Lastly, as others have already mentioned, the source for all of the
    networking tools is available (with certain restrictions--read the
    licences carefully!). You'll learn a lot by reading code. Start by
    looking at the "iputils" source package (ping etc.).

    --
    Roger Leigh