Re: Internet related libraries

From: Roger Leigh (${roger}_at_invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid)
Date: 12/23/03

    Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:30:28 +0000

    "Cecil Westerhoff" <cwesterh@wanadoo.nl> writes:

    > I just started with programming under linux with c++. I have programmed
    > for years with Borland C++ Builder. So I have some experience. But I can
    > not find the libraries for intenet stuff. (Ping, fetching a page, etc.)
    > The only thing I found was a library for CGI. Can someone tell me where to
    > find those libraries? Or for that mather where to look for libraries in
    > general?

    Firstly, try asking on comp.os.linux.development.apps. We're a
    friendly bunch :-)

    Secondly, for basic networking you don't need anything more
    sopisticated than the C Standard Library (GNU libc), which includes
    the POSIX/Single UNIX networking system calls. See
    <URL:http://www.unix.org/version3/online.html> for more details. Have
    a look at connect(), socket() etc. in the "System Interfaces" section.

    This quick search shows some of the C++ networking libraries in
    Debian:

    $ apt-cache search net | grep -i "C++"
    [irrelevent packages snipped]
    libace-dev - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit in C++
    libace5.3.1 - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit in C++
    libcapsinetwork-dev - C++ network server library, development files
    libcapsinetwork0 - C++ network server library
    libccrtp-dev - Common C++ class framework for RTP packets
    libccrtp1-1.0-0c102 - Common C++ class framework for RTP packets
    libcommoncpp2-1.0-0c102 - A GNU package for creating portable C++ programs
    libcommoncpp2-dev - Header files and static libraries for Common C++ "2"
    libicq2000 - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library
    libicq2000-dev - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library - development files
    libicq2000-doc - An ICQ2000/2001 C++ library - documentation
    libpbd0 - Library of useful, generic C++ objects
    libwvstreams3 - C++ network libraries for rapid application development
    libwvstreams3-base - C++ network libraries for rapid application development
    libyehia0.5-0 - Yehia - A C++ application framework - runtime
    libyehia0.5-dev - Yehia - A C++ application framework - development

    Lastly, as others have already mentioned, the source for all of the
    networking tools is available (with certain restrictions--read the
    licences carefully!). You'll learn a lot by reading code. Start by
    looking at the "iputils" source package (ping etc.).

    --
    Roger Leigh

    • Re: RDP Minimum config
      ... If you still want to reduce components from your original configuration, ... Common Control Libraries Version 5 ... Intel Protocol Network Address Translation ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
    • Re: security effects of adding wireless access
      ... Do not overestimate the issues of network security beyond ... >>that they install a wireless access point. ... >>I can't understand why so few libraries have not installed wireless ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: vc++ mfc project build is extremely slow taking hours
      ... How sophisticated are the "third party" libraries. ... in slower compilation, but not an hour. ... How fast is your network and file server? ... I am using precompiled headers and the environment variables point to ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: security effects of adding wireless access
      ... >that they install a wireless access point. ... I have not installed firewalls ... >but I have many years network programming experience. ... >I can't understand why so few libraries have not installed wireless ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Internet related libraries
      ... > not find the libraries for intenet stuff. ... libace5.3.1 - An Object-Oriented Network Programming Toolkit in C++ ... looking at the "iputils" source package (ping etc.). ...
      (comp.lang.cpp)