Location of process in RAM?

From: Charles Sullivan (cwsulliv_at_triad.rr.com)
Date: 03/16/04

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:41:42 GMT

Would one expect a program to load at a different
absolute RAM address when executed from an xterm
command line if one or more shells were started
in that xterm before the program.

I.e., would running:
 $ sh
 $ myprogram

load the code at a different RAM location than
running just:
 $ myprogram

(I'm questioning whether a program segfault on
one particular user's system could be due to a
bad or intermittant RAM memory cell.)

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Location of process in RAM?
    ... > Would one expect a program to load at a different ... > absolute RAM address when executed from an xterm ... > in that xterm before the program. ... > load the code at a different RAM location than ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Faster Marshaling?
    ... and 2 seconds to load a 9MB sized Marshal ... there's a way around this without extensive modification to ruby. ... loaded into RAM. ... entire data set in RAM all at once, because any one final data table ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: c# out of memory question
    ... I have 2GB of RAM on my machine and looking at task ... | memory to 3070MB. ... | testclass testclass1 = new testclass; ... however, this memory range is also used to load your code modules, the CLR ...
  • Re: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe ( Deluxe problem)
    ... video, 400Watt PS, yada yada yada ... Bad RAM module might have hosed files on your hard drive....making it look flaky ... ASUS .com does a good ... The boot load actually gets to 'Loading NTFS file system" before it craps out and reboots.... ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Programmatic use of load module
    ... > programmaticaly load modules from RAM/ROM. ... I boot from to transfer the second image into RAM and run it. ... I am trying to keep my VxWorks image and my application image separate. ... loadModule() to load our application module from disk to memory. ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)