Re: IDE for C++: KDevelop vs Emacs vs Other

From: WTH (spamsucks_at_Ih8it.com)
Date: 03/25/04

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:43:46 -0500

> I can't remember ever seeing a GUI button that I knew what it did just
> from looking at it the first time I saw it.

Really? I've seen literally thousands of GUIs with an 'Exit' button from
which I was capable of deducing that it would 'Exit' me from the
application. Of course, I may just be 'GUI intuitive.' ;)

> Some icons have become
> somewhat standard for certain operations, but there are always some
> programs that use them to mean something else,

Are you obliquely suggesting that all keyboard based UIs use emacs bindings?

> so you anyway have to
> check first (though it's not obvious how that should be done). Emacs
> has a very easy way of finding out exactly what a certain key does.

Yes, if you ONLY use emacs. I wonder why video games don't use keyboard
bindings exclusively, I mean, they're supposed to be very concerned with the
cognitive psychology of user interfaces. That's one stupid 18 billion
dollar a year industry...

    WTH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IDE for C++: KDevelop vs Emacs vs Other
    ... >> from looking at it the first time I saw it. ... Perhaps a GUI is intuitive for the first two weeks while you ... >Are you obliquely suggesting that all keyboard based UIs use emacs bindings? ... >cognitive psychology of user interfaces. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... growth in the use of modern tools that actually let you see what the ... I did not wait to learn emacs until I absolutely /had/ to ... Yes, I agree, their lives suck. ... Bolting on GUI features as an afterthought onto a legacy app is going ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: IDE for C++: KDevelop vs Emacs vs Other
    ... Virtually nobody makes use of emacs keyboard bindings. ... >than a GUI. ... where am I going to put the icons? ... I use something more than 300 "keyboard commands" by reflex. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: IDE for C: KDevelop vs Emacs vs Other
    ... applications tend to lack sane functionality more frequently. ... > a GUI tool, though. ... The whole discussion started due to WTH's "emacs interface is total ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: IDE for C: KDevelop vs Emacs vs Other
    ... Maybe OE even does it by design, ... > interface, which says volumes about how powerful a tool emacs is. ... familiar GUI design well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)