Re: I love Xfree

From: Jeff Schwab (jeffplus_at_comcast.net)
Date: 03/28/04

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:44:39 -0500

Noah Roberts wrote:
> Jeff Schwab wrote:
>
>> Does anybody else here get upset when people say "X Windows," instead
>> of "The X Windowing System," or just "X?"
>>

> Years ago I was banned from a chatroom for saying X Windows. In my
> opinion that is just too pedantic and heavy handed. People who get
> worked up over things like that need to think long and hard about what
> is worth getting worked up about.

"Who knoweth not the names, knoweth not the subject."
   -- Carl von Linne, Critica Botanica (1737)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I love Xfree
    ... Years ago I was banned from a chatroom for saying X Windows. ... opinion that is just too pedantic and heavy handed. ... "I'm a war president. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Connecting to the Internet
    ... > APIs was a lot easier than learning Registry APIs.) ... be installed in all versions of Windows that you choose to support. ... I hope you don't mind me saying you have "missed the boat". ... Vague questions such as that are often ignored in Microsoft newsgroups ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.winapi)
  • Re: Windows Procedural Programming
    ... > One minute [Alf is] saying that a Windows program does not have a WinMain ...
    (comp.programming)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2
    ... truly think you are saying something that can help. ... *nix way) you still would whine because they are also working on extending ... are concerned that you will have to learn Windows, ... I recall nimda and I don't recall my Windows machines getting infected even ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Was going to.........
    ... was about MS Office, not Windows itself. ... You claimed VB.Net was vastly superior to VB. ... Olaf challenged that claim, saying that if it ... That was a quote from the article. ...