Creating a file that self-destroys at each reboot

From: Luca T. (lucat_at_despammed.com)
Date: 04/06/04

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:18:10 +0200

Hello,
i have a problem. I need to create a file similar to /etc/mtab, but that
it self-destroys at each boot of the machine.
My first thought was to put it in /proc, unfortunately only kernel
modules can make files in /proc and i don't want to make a kernel module
just for this.
I also don't want to mess with init boot scripts and/or startup services
if possible.
The second thought i had is to create a ramdisk to keep the file... but
to create a whole new mount-point in the tree just for a single file
seems to me a bit exaggerated.
So i was thinking... is it possible to create a ram-file and link it,
for instance, in /etc? (of course this without having to mess with the
kernel, with modules and with boot-scripts).

Thanx,
   Luca

Relevant Pages

  • Creating a file that self-destroys at each reboot
    ... it self-destroys at each boot of the machine. ... My first thought was to put it in /proc, unfortunately only kernel ... I also don't want to mess with init boot scripts and/or startup services ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • 2.6.28-rc2: REGRESSION in early boot
    ... I've opened a Kernel Bug to track this regression: ... Essentially, the system panics in early boot, resulting in multiple ... commit d6c88a507ef0b6afdb013cba4e7804ba7324d99a ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [ARM] Regression ? at91rm9200 machine-type
    ... I cannot boot my board anymore. ... u-boot is not passing the right boot information to the kernel. ... # Device Drivers ... # RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Proposed update of the i386 boot document
    ... THE LINUX/I386 BOOT PROTOCOL ... the Linux kernel uses a rather complicated boot ... may not even support a command line. ... low memory touched by the boot loader -- as low as possible, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [2.6.25-rc1] jerky mouse cursor and randoooom key repeats
    ... By this I mean that given a specific kernel configuration I can boot it ... # AX.25 network device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)