Re: one more try...

From: Måns Rullgård (mru_at_kth.se)
Date: 05/12/04

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:33:19 +0200

Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:

>> You should avoid using SIGKILL (9), since
>> it doesn't give the process a chance to perform any cleanup, such as
>> deleting temporary/lock files.
>
> In generally yes, you should give it SIGTERM and a few
> seconds to cleanup before you give it the final SIGKILL.
> But in the case of xterm I don't think it actually have
> anything to cleanup.

How are utmp/wtmp entries handled in this case?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

Relevant Pages

  • Re: winnt win32process.createProcess with stdout to file ?
    ... TerminateProcess doesn't give it a chance to exit normally ... and do any cleanup that would happen if it exited itself. ... it seems that the stdout/stderr don't capture the ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Closing Process
    ... The recommended method is to start by giving it a chance to shut down ... gracefully and cleanup after itself by posting a WM_CLOSE message to ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.winapi)
  • Re: folder recovery?
    ... modify the disk without giving me a chance to reject the "chkdsk" ... cleanup. ... leaving no chance to stop it. ... I only recently started using win2000 (over win98se), ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)
  • Re: Access importing csv file hangs/freezes - sample code
    ... If it was in VBA, I'd be very inclined to put some "DoEvents" in, to give the ... db or Windows a chance to cleanup. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.devtoolkits)