Re: one more try...

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd_at_daimi.au.dk)
Date: 05/12/04

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:46:33 +0200

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:
>
> > But in the case of xterm I don't think it actually have
> > anything to cleanup.
>
> How are utmp/wtmp entries handled in this case?

Good question. Seems they are not handled.

w is intelligent enough to see the tty does not exist
and doesn't report anything.

who will report the user as still logged in on that
particular pts.

That means the output from who will be incorrect
until the next time the pts have been used by somebody.
I have seen that a lot of times, even wrote a script to
open a lot of xterms just to clean it up.

So I change my mind. Even an xterm should be given a
chance to cleanup. Only use SIGKILL if there is really
something wrong.

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid paa usenet.
For sending spam use abuse@mk.lir.dk and kasperd@mk.lir.dk