Re: one more try...

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd_at_daimi.au.dk)
Date: 05/12/04

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:46:33 +0200

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:
>
> > But in the case of xterm I don't think it actually have
> > anything to cleanup.
>
> How are utmp/wtmp entries handled in this case?

Good question. Seems they are not handled.

w is intelligent enough to see the tty does not exist
and doesn't report anything.

who will report the user as still logged in on that
particular pts.

That means the output from who will be incorrect
until the next time the pts have been used by somebody.
I have seen that a lot of times, even wrote a script to
open a lot of xterms just to clean it up.

So I change my mind. Even an xterm should be given a
chance to cleanup. Only use SIGKILL if there is really
something wrong.

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid paa usenet.
For sending spam use abuse@mk.lir.dk and kasperd@mk.lir.dk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: one more try...
    ... Alternatively if you really want to execute a shell command. ... you should give it SIGTERM and a few ... seconds to cleanup before you give it the final SIGKILL. ... But in the case of xterm I don't think it actually have ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Ctrl+C doesnt interrupt process waiting for I/O
    ... Elias Oltmanns wrote: ... my patch breaks echoing in the xterm and, rather to my embarrassment, I ... Elias, thanks for your report. ... if I moved the xterm window around on the screen (causing other activity ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • xterm and press enter
    ... I'm fork a xtermand try to write the pseudo ... I'm confused when I try to write the pts in the parent process, ... show on the xterm. ... 426 int VHyperTerminal() { ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: xkb custom map and xterm - Shift+U & Shift+I
    ... figure out where to report it is that I fired up rxvt and I was unable ... to reproduce the problem. ... Neither U nor Ucircumflex work in xterm. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2
    ... I'm not sure about the cons25 versus xterm stuff - you're not the ... first person to report this. ... Guys/girls/other - why is this? ...
    (freebsd-current)