Re: PHP vs. Java+ [Re: Good open-source CMS packages, etc.?]

From: Benny Hill (benny_hill3_at_your_rose_colored_glassesyahoo.com)
Date: 05/29/04

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:14:22 -0500

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:24:14 -0600, Jim Cochrane wrote:

*snip a bunch of stuff*

Hi Jim,

   I have written both PHP and JSP based sites. I much prefer doing the
PHP sites. Since I'm just a single data point though you'll just have to
chalk that up to personal preference.

   I don't have any online references but in my personal experience PHP is
more reliable than JSP. One of my clients uses Apache and Resin as their
web/JSP servers. Every so often, for no apparent reason, Resin dies and
has trouble re-connecting to the AS/400's it uses to store data.

   I've never had a problem with PHP.

   PHP is not as mature as Java/JSP. It certainly doesn't have the
object-oriented strengths (and weaknesses I suppose) that Java does.
Since I'm a C++ programmer at heart sometimes I get ticked off at PHP for
it's lack of OO capabilities. Mike Cocke mentioned that everytime
there is a new release of PHP, old stuff breaks. I personally haven't ran
across that but I don't doubt his claim. I do however think that such
problems should be becoming pretty rare now that PHP has continued to
mature.

   I'll agree whole-heartedly with Matt Palmer too regarding your people's
skills. If you've got a bunch of Java programmers then you should almost
certainly do things with JSP/servlets. Otherwise I think you should give
PHP a very long look. It's whole purpose for existence after all is to
create web pages. JSP/servlets seem to me to be an adaptation of Java for
doing web stuff.

uh... sorry for being so verbose.

--
Benny