Re: Versioning system

From: David Schwartz (davids_at_webmaster.com)
Date: 06/06/04

    Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:41:28 -0700

    Nomak wrote:

    > * I know CVS and subversion are used in production system, but these
    > production system genrallyhave automated backup systems, and the
    > apache is configured by someone who know security, read bugtrack and
    > patch whenever necessary.

        Every production system that is accessible from a public network should
    have automated backup systems, by configured by someone who knows security,
    and should have all security patches applied by vigilant administrators.

    > I won't do that.

        Hey, fine, if you don't care about security, then don't follow security
    practices. But then don't complain that your system isn't secure. The
    techniques you have rejected are the *ONLY* ones that result in good
    security.

    > * I don't really know the difference between OpenSSL and OpenSSH. All
    > i know is that i don't want a ssh server listenin to the internet.

        Why? What is the particular threat you are worried about? It's
    impossible to understand your requirements.

        If your requirement is, "I want a secure, reliable system but I won't do
    backups, learn enough about security to competently cofigure it, or patch
    it, or hire someone to do these things", then the answer is, sorry. You
    can't be a concert piano player without decades of lessons and practice.
    That's what it takes to get to that.

        DS