Re: new to programming in Linux

From: bob holder (holder25AThotmailDOTcom)
Date: 06/18/04

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:48:27 GMT

"Roger Leigh" <${roger}@whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:5k5bq1-a8f.ln1@system10.lan.epictechnology.co.uk...
> On 2004-06-18, Pasi Parviainen <pasi.parviainen@mirasys.fi> wrote:
> >

> > Roger Leigh wrote:

> >> "Fast" and Java don't generally go together. I've only dabbled a
> >> little, but even the simplest interfaces (dialog with a close button)
> >> were slow.
>
> > People should really look the numbers and forget old mantra "Java is
slow."

> If my own experience shows it to perform like a dog, why should other
> peoples measurements make it better? That won't make it work for me,
> will it?
>
> The test program was three dialogs: two which were simple entries to
> enter numbers, and one to display a result (the two numbers multiplied
> together). So each dialog was either a label or entry, plus an OK
> button. Each dialog took 2-3 second to display. That's unacceptable:
> if this was GTK+, it would be nearly instantaneous.
>
> If it's that bad for a trivial dialog, I can't bear to think about how
> bad a real application will be. (Those I have seen did not perform
> well.)
>
> > Take pointers (for example) from here:
> > http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html
>
> Benchmarks are useless. Sure, under some workloads, it's OK. But the
> performance of Swing was laughable.
>
> Some of those benchmarks show Java can be OK. But that wasn't my point.
> My point was that Swing was so slow as to be barely usable. I tested
> on both Windows and Linux.
>
> >> The SunONE IDE was completely unusable on my PIII 900MHz
> >> laptop.
> > Memory, eh? The most significant thing for Java slowness is short of
> > system memory.
>
> 256 MiB core and 512 MiB swap should be enough for one program! This
> was on a Windows machine, BTW. That is more than average, and if it
> can't run in that much, that's not acceptable.
>
> --
> Roger Leigh

I run Eclipse 3.0 on my 2.8 GHz dual xeon with 2GB memory. While it is
"usable" I shudder to think about using a lesser platform. Running native
apps like kdevelop and designer, things zip right along. If the original
poster is looking for a nice IDE environment I can recommend Eclipse, but be
prepared to cough up the hardware. I am using it for both java and c++ work.
I have not tried the gui builder plugin so for building dialogs so I cannot
testify about the performance. I recommend learning about the linux api to
get a handle on the basics of linux programming, and then move up the food
chain to an IDE style tool. Once there you will have a better understanding
of things when they go wrong and all you get is some IDE pretty dialog box
telling you "something bad happened". Good luck.
bob

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Seriously, who CODES in Linux? What IDE? Seriously.
    ... working with Java my preferred IDE is NetBeans. ... All of course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. ... why would ANYBODY code in Linux? ... latest version of their app server. ...
  • Pfew! I am glad .NET exists... confessions of a MS immigrant.
    ... I used to be a die hard Linux ... When WinXP Professional came out using Windows became more fun but that is ... Java. ... it standalone (rather than within the IDE) then hell breaks lose. ...
  • Re: Beginner Question; IDE & Book?
    ... what starter book should be a good ... I would recommend Eclipse as an IDE for transitioning ... volume set "Core Java 2" by Cay Horstmann. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • MacOSx / Windows / vielleicht Linux
    ... Ich möchte ein Programm schreiben welches unter MacOS X und Windows läuft (vielleicht auch Linux, ist aber erstmal nicht so wichtig). ... C++, Java, oder besser was anderes? ... Welche IDE bietet sich da an? ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.programmieren)
  • eclipse with sun api ?
    ... on linux to use as IDE. ... to be much if not all tied to the IBM java API. ...
    (comp.lang.java.gui)