Re: c++ documentation

From: Carlos Moreno (moreno_at_mochima_dot_com_at_xx.xxx)
Date: 05/12/05

    Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:31:01 -0400

    Gav wrote:

    > I have just started coding in c++ again on my Mandrake 10.1 box, last time I
    > did any c++ was over 10 years ago so I'm a little rusty at the moment. Can
    > anybody suggest a good web resource for me to use? I'm mainly after a syntax
    > documentation.

    C++ 10 years ago and C++ today are two different (*radically*
    different) programming languages... Almost as different as
    C and Java.

    So, my advice is that you pick up a book such as "Accelerated
    C++", which even though starts from the very beginning, it
    has emphasis on the "modern" C++ language.

    I can offer you to read a couple of tutorials that I wrote
    myself, to help my students given the lack of books that teach
    C++ the right way:

    http://www.mochima.com/tutorials/strings.html
    http://www.mochima.com/tutorials/vectors.html (arrays)

    A slightly more advanced one, for the STL:

    http://www.mochima.com/tutorials/STL.html

    HTH,

    Carlos

    • Re: here you can bash Magdalenian
      ... about colors and will do syntax coloring in numerous programming ... Any *text* editor will work that way. ... And all programming languages I ...
      (sci.lang)
    • C Expression Parsing in Forth?
      ... What value is there in programming in Forth ... >> a position on the stack. ... >syntax over time to where it'll do the entire c file. ... >> solution is to come up with a call interface between the two languages. ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Re: Why Lisp will never go out of style
      ... I suppose that once one learns how to compute symbolically, it is very difficult to return to the structured impediments of the other languages. ... I realized quickly that the reason that Lisp will never go out style is because there will always be lists to process. ... No syntax and powerful macros facilitates tailor-made languages of arbitrary complexity ... Functional programming is good for writing software components that have no bugs. ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Whats Forth like?
      ... syntax, you can pick up the basics very quickly. ... decades before these ideas were rediscovered by the Agile programming ... "All Algebraic languages ... superscalable CYC project, if IBM will ever get their act in gear. ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Thats all syntax
      ... > 1) assuming that new returns a null pointer upon failure. ... That's syntax. ... You don't get exception handling in many languages. ... intend to get into console programming you'll probably need assembly as well ...
      (comp.lang.cpp)