Re: x.org dropped imake, now what is the best way to convert existing Imakefile so it can be used with automake et all?

Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On a sunny day (Sat, 31 Dec 2005 00:14:52 +1100) it happened Russell Shaw
> <rjshawN_o@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> <cfof83-6h3.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> All my X windows applications use imake (Imakefile and xmkmf).
>>> I have read somewhere that in the latest X release from X.org
>>> imake is no longer supported, and automake should be used.
>>> That would for require me to release versions for that.
>>> What is the shortest path to go from an imake file to a makefile
>>> or whatever (I dunno) that automake uses?
>>>
>>> And why do they create this incompatibility? Imake worked just fine
>>> (at least for me), and was very simple to use.
>>>
>>> Feels a bit like leaving tgz for rpm ... marketing move?
>>
>>Well, with practically no documentation on how to use it,
>>modify it, or how it works, it was about as useful as tits
>>on a bull. Maybe if someone had written a manual for it, it
>>might have lasted a bit longer;)

> Yes, tha tis the impression I am getting from autoscan automake
> aclocalconfigure

There is an excellent manual, and there are whole books dedicated to
it (http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/).

> I just did some web searching and there seem to be nnn different
> versions of those tools.

There are older, incompatible, versions (autoconf 2.13 and automake
1.4). You should just use the latest (autoconf 1.59, automake 1.9).

> I actually managed to create a working configure and executable
> starting from Makefile.am and configure.ac

Cool, congrats!

> Imake (xmkmf) 2^32 times easier to use.
> And that is only 2^32 because I am on a 32 bits system :-)
> What a lot of crap files that automake autoscan autoconf aclocal shit makes.

That's the "magic portability glue" :) Actually, this is because
configure can't use shell functions. In a future release of autoconf,
I think this will be relaxed. It will make things rather more space
efficient, and also run faster. IIRC libtool already does this.

> Maybe my users should just install XFree and imake, their problem,
> not mine.
>
> 'For this program to compile you have to update to Xfree from XFree.org'.

Once imake is obsoleted, how are you going to continue using it? If
it doesn't come with the X built, it won't know the details of your X
configuration.

Regards,
Roger

- --
Roger Leigh
Printing on GNU/Linux? http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org/
GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848. Please sign and encrypt your mail.
.