Need program like "AllChars"

Hi. I need to be able to input composed (accented, etc.) characters in
linux. I'd really like to have a program that works exactly like
"AllChars" for Windows http://allchars.zwolnet.com/manual.html
It would be really great if it could work in X as well as the console,
or via remote sessions, etc.

I suppose there's a "linux" way of doing it. My keyboard is a regular
US 104-key, and my system locale is "US English", but I need to be able
to type European languages with a minimum of fuss, especially French.

The only way I can do it right now is to either copy and paste from a
character map, or set my locale and hunt and peck on the keyboard, or
else run Windows under VMWare and use AllChars.

I think what I'm looking for is a "Compose Key" input method.

For instance the way AllChars works to input "e aigu" : The user
presses and release a Ctrl key, then types "e '" It's very efficient,
and part of my typing habits already. Can I make linux do it the same?
If not, how close to that can I get?

  • Tab chars are a gotcha in Update editor w/ accuterm
    ... So Telnet from microsoft is out. ... the linux man pages, in that they have a few characters ... Accuterm thus far does not seem to support Unicode, ... it nicely puts up some garbage characters onscreen to show ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Horribly overdue update to unicode.txt
    ... of the Linux Assigned Names And Numbers Authority project. ... The Linux kernel code has been rewritten to use Unicode to map ... In particular, ESC (U is no longer "straight to font", since the font ... Actual characters assigned in the Linux Zone ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD
    ... This is clearly an area where FreeBSD is lacking. ... Does Linux really display and render all Chinese ... of characters, there are also such things as precomposed-decomposed ... Non-X console in graphical mode. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: dot matrix printer unicode question
    ... garbage on sveral pages when I try printing out a 13 line long text ... with a real dos computer? ... additional characters. ... "COPY file LPT1" will do exactly what the Linux cat command does, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fast UTF-8 strlen function
    ... > How do I print a UTF-8 string to the console in Linux? ... technically able to render all those characters... ... Did you see my "Japanese Hello World" example? ...
    (alt.lang.asm)